cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

USPS doubles EV percentage for new fleet, Aston finds new wings, NASCAR confirms Chicago street race

Intake: The U.S. Postal Service has announced that it will increase the percentage of electric vehicles included its new fleet from 20 percent to 40 percent. The USPS says at least 50 percent of the new trucks will be purchased from Oshkosh Corporation.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-manifold/2022-07-21/
31 REPLIES 31
hyperv6
Collector

Sadly the NASCAR race will be like most other street races and more about the money vs better racing. Road America was a great track and provided much better racing than the one we are getting.
To fix the pace car issues you can run 2-3 pace cars around the track and restart lines to cut down on caution time. The last race there was an example of great racing between Elliot and Riddick. You will not get that in Chicago.

As for the post office. Is it just not like the government to buy over priced models by a unit of the government that is losing money already and then they will come to us again with their hand out during a recession that they created.
CitationMan
Gearhead

Nobody in Chicago wants this race, it’s not a NASCAR town. I’d be surprised if there’s a second race after the public backlash. And no Chicagoan refers to the city as Chi-town, only people who don’t live there.
FigueroB
Intermediate Driver

I've lived in suburban Chicago for 50 years and the only time I've heard the city referred to as Chi-town was on TV from someone talking over a CB radio.

I heard it on occasion but most of the time people said Chicago.

hoser48
Intermediate Driver

I worked for the postal service for 23 years. Every decision they make is wrong. Someone made $$ on this decision, just like happens on all postal decisions.
Tinkerah
Engineer

Fellow ex-USPS employee here and I concur. They cry poor mouth but there is ALWAYS plenty of grateful taxpayer money to be spent.
jenniferny
Intermediate Driver

Check out that windshield on the new USPS trucks.
So HUGE, that it will stress crack and break easier, and so HUGE that it will cost a small fortune to replace when it breaks!!
Only a moron would design a truck with a windshield that big, that is unless they have stock in automotive glass companies!
spark123
Advanced Driver

And it has the aerodynamics of a cinder block to boot.
Tinkerah
Engineer

True, but they won't see much time over 25 MPH.
CitationMan
Gearhead

Who needs a windshield that big to spot a mailbox?
Timbo
Detailer

Does this mean that the deliverer will give me MY mail and not leave it at another address and give me someone else's?
CitationMan
Gearhead

My neighbors and I would just meet in the middle of our block and exchange mail after our postal person put mail into random mail boxes.

Maestro1
Technician

Louis DeJoy who runs the Post Office is a Trump donor and comes form that same crowd of arrogant idiots. Take a look at the windshield of the vehicle. If someone crosses the truck's bow and shatters the windshield it could possibly kill the driver. Brilliant. And although I am
not a fan of electric cars (not yet; the concept is still not fully developed) for the Post Office
it's a great idea. But DeJoy probably has friends in the oil business.
The Contract awarded to Oshkosh Defense, which does NOT build vehicles for the street was a no bid affair. And we're paying for this debacle.
hyperv6
Collector

Not to get political but this was a Biden call. He is the one that ordered the first ones to be purchased and he increased it the same day he demands more EV purchases and global we are going to die by the year 2000 cries. 

It’is ok to hate who you like but at least attach the failure to the right elected idiots. 

Also WorkHorse EV did also bid but they were not stable enough to get the contract. Their model was not great and they were going to have to work with unstable Lordstown motors to build them. 

Their whole plan depended on the contract and government money to get the company running. 

TheModelCitizen
Detailer

Also the price of gas 18 months ago was half of what it is today. The EV vs ICE choice was doubtless very different back then compared to now.
jaysalserVW
Advanced Driver

Folks--be prepared for postage rates to increase dramatically. Once again, the Gov't is using the Lies about EVs being the answer to "saving the Planet" to gouge the TaxPayer! The only ones being saved are the Investors in the EV Concept and the companies producing them--AND the Chinese and other foreign countries! The production of EV exponentially increases the use of Fossil Fuels and, thus, that Dreaded Pollution!
Air_and_Water
Instructor

I'm not an "EV all the things!" guy, but most mail trucks drive somewhere under 15 miles in a day and are constantly stopping and starting. It's the single best place to put electric vehicles, as they're tailor-made for that duty. A gas engine vehicle that needs servicing, idles most of the time and goes through brake pads like a kid through Halloween candy simply doesn't make sense. Just listen to one of those postal trucks taking off from a stop going up a hill and you can hear it laboring, only to stop again 150 feet later.
FigueroB
Intermediate Driver

I can't think of a better application for an EV than a urban mail truck. Constant stop and go, probably 25%-50% of the time at a standstill, rarely exceeds 30 mph, could sit all night on a charger, probably a cheap level 1.
So why aren't 100% of the city/urban fleet budgeted as EVs?
For rural routes go plug-in hybrid.
Frees up a lot of petrol for the folks getting the mail.
Timbo
Detailer

Good luck charging them and running your A/C at home when the eco-greenies shut your power plant and put a windmill in your back yard.
Air_and_Water
Instructor

They charge at night and the highest draw is the middle of the day. It really isn't the detriment that so many think it is.
Zephyr
Technician

When every post office in the US plugs in their EVs to charge overnight, will we have the generating capacity to handle it? Even if we do, will the grid be able to handle that kind of load? And remember, at night there's no solar power and very little wind power. Whole idea doesn't seem well thought out.
Aside - I was talking to a Post Office maintenance supervisor one day, and he told me that the part that gets replaced the oftenest on mail trucks is not the starter motor (my guess) but the seat. Seats last an average of 3 to 6 months.
Air_and_Water
Instructor

Yes, the grid will be able to handle it. Nighttime is also the least electrical draw, and by far. We literally can't build electric cars faster than we can upgrade the grid. Certainly the Post Office numbers aren't high enough to warrant fears of overtaxing the grid.
ed
Advanced Driver

USPS - now they can lose your mail or not deliver it or shrug their shoulders in hi-tech style.

The post office is going to spend more money that it doesn't have? How very thoughtful of them. Arguably this is where EV's might work well, but the Postal Service is just bleeding money without this.

The GT-R didn't sell? Interesting. It will, surprised it didn't now.

So I assume that the roads will be repaved in Chicago so the NASCAR vehicles don't lose all their wheels to the many potholes and humps along the way?
Geok86
Instructor

Glad to see that Hagerty is becoming another Fakebook…if they don’t like what you have to say, they just delete your comments…it’s happened to me the last 2 days in a row.
CJinSD
Instructor

The USPS is replacing trucks that average about 2,300 miles a year. There is no money to be saved by replacing them, unless it is money laundered into these corrupt authoritarians' personal accounts.
Air_and_Water
Instructor

Those trucks are ancient and dropping like flies. Frames are cracking, and many parts are no longer available. To paraphrase Indiana Jones, "It's not the mileage, it's the years."
RickL
Advanced Driver

They are going to leave Road America perhaps one of the most beautiful road courses in America for Chicago. Does anyone really think this is a good idea giving the current situation in Chicago? Where are you going to put the campers, the parties, the kids playing. NASCAR is so much more family oriented than the Indy or Sports Car Racing (and an older cautious crowd). Did anyone look at how many shootings there was at Road America over the 4th of July weekend, then compared to Chicago. Hmm...good luck NASCAR
CitationMan
Gearhead

Word to the wise. If you go to this race, stay far away from downtown in the suburbs and take a Metra commuter train into the city. Stay away from public transportation. Keep your head on a swivel and your phone in your pocket.
Ken_L
Detailer

If the USPS changed to only delivering regular mail three days a week, they would only need to replace half of the old trucks with the new larger trucks. Who really needs snail mail (mostly junk) delivered six days a week now. They could still provide the special expedited delivery that they offer now and maybe expand on that, but save lots and lots of money by going to three days a week routes.
DonT
Intermediate Driver

Hmmm, Chicago. How much would a bullet-proofed NASCAR coupe weigh? Better add a couple hundred horsepower to the engine folks. Does anybody remember how many Indycar races they held in Baltimore, other than one? Cities just aren't the best venue for races and all the people who want to see them.