cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Toyota’s 1990–99 MR2 (SW20) packs a supercar punch on a Camry budget

We can all agree mid-engine cars are awesome. However, if you’re in the market for a mid-engine car that won’t break your budget, there aren’t many options. Among most mid-engine models, you will need to sacrifice reliability or performance to get a good deal. That’s not the case with the second-generation Toyota MR2 (SW20). Where else can you get supercar-tier performance, legendary build quality, and everyday practicality, all packaged in a timeless design?

Let’s dig deeper to figure out what makes this car so great.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/toyotas-1990-99-mr2-sw20-packs-a-supercar-punch-on-a-camry-b...

5 REPLIES 5
DRF
Pit Crew

I guess I'm letting my generation down (X), but I can't really get excited over these cars, they still seem like "new" cars to me.  I sort of like the first MR2 only because it was so different at the time. For a car that could also be a daily driver I guess one of these would be a good choice, but for a fun hobby car, I'm just not drawn to it. Maybe it is a European car bias, but then I really liked the Buick Grand National when it came out, so maybe it's something else...

Rick2
Intermediate Driver

I recently sold a #2 1995 NA for $8800. I know it was worth more but it was time. The wife and I were beginning to get tired of the fall in and climb out low seating. It sucks to get old!

Corvettetime
Passenger

I paid $10k in 2002 for my '94 N/A with 49k on the clock.

Local Toyota dealer will give me $8k on trade right now.

Fun part is few people today know what it is!

Rider79
Instructor

Always looked good, to me.

Spuds
Advanced Driver

A kid in our family had one,just the run of the mill one.GREAT fun blasting up the mountain with the revs up.He sold it for next to nothing Im sure as  he sneered at the 'stupid small car',sold unbeknownst to us.I would have bought it in a heartbeat.Also my first drive in a Toyota,now Im a Toyota/Lexus fanboy in my later years.They sure can build some great cars.