cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This tiny engine is a thousand-hour work of art

Harnessing the power of electricity is remarkable in its own way, but as road transportation moves towards an electric future, it's hard not to feel like cars are becoming less fascinating as objects of mechanical intrigue.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/this-tiny-engine-is-a-thousand-hour-work-of-art/
5 REPLIES 5
Smasher
Intermediate Driver

How does he cut the cam profile?
lumonic
Pit Crew

Typically model engineers set up a miniature version of the big cam grinders. They have a master cam that's larger that rotates the cam being ground to shape. I have seen the guys that make mini v8s use real v8 cams as the master cam to make the little one for their engines. 

He is doing something odd, making a fixture that allows you to index the camshaft and turning a little bit at a time. Won't be the best finish. 

I used to be into the model engineering hobby, I still have a engine I have never finished, lol. Someday...

cobrafia
Pit Crew

Very carefully! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

That was such a fun video to watch. I want to see him do some bigger ones like a straight 6, V8, etc. That would be fun. Great detail.
GoFast
Detailer

obviously larger than the stated 2.41cc of piston displacement. A one inch bore and stroke (guestimate) would yield 13 cc.