cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This restored 1969 Ford Torino is staying in the family | Hagerty Media

I was 8 years old the day we went to pick up our brand-new car in October 1969. It was the first and only new car my dad ever owned. He was going to trade in his old Mercury, but it died two blocks from the Ford dealer in Montebello, California, so he and my [...]
https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/this-restored-1969-ford-torino-is-staying-in-the-fam...
14 REPLIES 14
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Thanks for a neat story. It put a big smile on my face. I got my 64.5 Mustang (86K orig miles) from my dad, and my kids are already squabbling over who gets it next. 🙂
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

@Numberscruncher: Since "my kids are already squabbling over who gets it next", may I offer a suggestion? Will it to the on that UNASKED spends the most time helping you maintain it, and hopefully it won't divide the siblings after you're gone. 🙂
Numberscruncher
Detailer

I appreciate the suggestion, but that wouldn't really be fair, as one lives 800 miles away and another lives 1100 miles away. The third lives locally.

ed
Detailer

Great story. Our family vehicle was a more mundane '60 Ford wagon. Lot's of good memories of family road trips in that car. My dad died in '65, and mom eventually traded the wagon on the 1st of 2 Chevelles, a '65 that would later be replaced with a '70. I was a Ford kid, and I didn't understand why she thought anything made by Chevrolet could replace a Ford. Looking back on it, I get it, and I wonder if dear old mom had a brand new shiny super-stock Dodge parked in a rickety old garage somewhere. Would love to find all 3 of those cars to see how they are getting along.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

Thank you for sharing a great story, you have wonderful memories and a great car. Glad you restored it " how it was".
1956meteor
Intermediate Driver

My first car at age 17, 1973, was a 68 Torino convertible with a CJ 428. Red, black interior . I had it for two years until the law caught up to me and lost my license for 30 days, my dad cancelled the insurance and sold it . I never forgot it and after seeing one for the first time in decades in 2000, I decided to find one . i bought a 69 GT convert project car and spent 3 years restoring it. It ended up with a Ford Racing crate 5.0 and C4 , it was robin egg blue with white interior. I had alot of help in finding good parts from fellow Torino/Fairlane guys, mostly thru the forum at www.torinocobra.com of which I am still a member. 5 years ago, approaching my 60th birthday, I got the desire to have a car from the year I was born , and after finding a 56 Meteor Niagara two door hardtop, I let the Torino go . Now thanks to covid, I don't even have the Meteor anymore, I sold it to a fellow in Sweden . These days, my wife and I share an 89 Corvette convert which has been her dream car since forever. I still have alot of pics of the Torino , I don't know how to post them here.
kimb
Pit Crew

Thanks for the memories. My first new car was a '69 Torino GT - Only advantage I had over you was the car had bench seats - much better for dating 😉 390/4spd . Rubber in three out of four- needed weight in the trunk.. But I stayed with the local six packs and Chevelles. I am sure it has rusted away somewhere. If we knew and had the $ then to match what we know and have ($) now..... Kim
elldorado2000
Intermediate Driver

Where did the car industry go wrong that they could make such beautiful cars that established great memories to not being able to build a car that anyone wants to keep past its lease.
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

Although the cIosest I ever came to one of these was the one a distant cousin owned; the '69 Torino has always been a favorite of mine. In art class, I could reproduce one at will, (along w/ a '69 Mustang, LOL!) Yours is a beautiful car and something to really treasure. My personal preference, though ran to having the stripe on the side, the hood scoop, and Magnum wheels! 🙂
SJ
Advanced Driver

Gorgeous, the '68's & '69's were an improvement over the looks of the '67 IMHO.
NightRanger
Intermediate Driver

Great photography too. Talent showing through!
drhino
Instructor

Sentiment, passion, history!

Wonderful!
jsfury
Intermediate Driver

Nice resto. Great looking Torino GT.
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

Great story, thanks for sharing it. Power to you for keeping & restoring it. Enjoy!