cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This R18 custom puts BMW's kidney bean grille on a motorcycle | Hagerty Media

The BMW R18 is a retro-inspired machine that is perfectly at home in dark, moody photography. It is also ripe for customization, as has been proven time and time again by various builders, despite the fact the R18 is less than a year old.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/this-r18-custom-puts-bmws-kidney-bean-grille-on-a-motorcyc...
20 REPLIES 20
gpsuya
Intermediate Driver

Love the huge front Kidneys, ala old school Bimmers.
JSievers
Intermediate Driver

Agreed. Looks like a 328.
Birdman
New Driver

It’s funny, Bad Chad built similar design on MotorTrend last season using an old Honda.
OldCarMan
Advanced Driver

Because you could- NOT because you should!
GRP_Photo
Detailer
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

I saw these "bikes" for the first time a year ago at a Hot Wheels Car Show.

Really cute!

Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

Back in the nineteen fifties I used to race a Norton 350cc and it was fitted with a steamline fairing commonly known even then as a "dustbin" so the more things change, the more they stay the same!
JohninNC
Detailer

if it was 1/2 as bulbous I might be into it. Anyone see the moped with the vw bug front fender on it? It's awesome. This is neat, but too big and bulky.
Oh the VW fender moped thingy is posted below, copy paste- https://www.upcycledzine.com/old-volkswagen-beetle-fenders-turned-into-stunning-mini-bikes/
Bmike
Intermediate Driver

"Holy Batcycle Batman! You're right boy wonder, and the Riddler's at it again. Hop on the **bleep** seat!"
NITRO450EXP
Instructor

I like it, Retro, streamliner inspired. Quite pleasing to look at.
greenhue
Pit Crew

The photo of the fairing with the orange peel paint is just horrible. Color sanding would have smoothed that finish out to command the price you need to sell the bike at a price to make a profit.
Zephyr
Detailer

Funny thing about that - the Germans seem to actually like orange peel. I remember that back in the 80's body shops were complaining about how hard it was to match the paint on BMW cars, because you had to deliberately introduce orange peel on the repainted panels, something our systems had been designed to eliminate .
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Shades of the legendary Moto Guzzi V8 of 1955-1957!
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

PA-Moto-Guzzi-V8-500cc-RHS-1024x598.jpg

Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Robert...

How does one post a photo here? I've tried to copy, paste and move photos to the comment box but have not been successful.

Thanks,

Tony
drhino
Advanced Driver

Looks like a dustbin with a glandular issue. Disproportionately large. And just plain ugly. Would hate to get caught in a big crosswind riding that monstrosity.
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Well...

That's pretty cool but IMHO the rear end doesn't seem to "flow" with the front end. Almost as if the guy who designed the rear didn't know the guy who designed the nose. (A bigger issue is/was, it's apparently the same guy.)

Perhaps he might wanna take a peek at what the Blastolene Brothers are doing and offer up mating attire and helmets as well! Here' s a link:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVFC_enUS754US755&sxsrf=ALeKk03lSCn-uc70bGvuUl1QTRYW38eTjw:1611...
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Zephyr
Detailer

It looks like it had a collision with its own sidecar.
RoadDog
Pit Crew

Beautiful bike. I'd like to see a front-view shot, the fairing must be a tad wide to allow for the front tire to steer. Also, it might not be too fun in strong side winds. But I guess that is beside the point. It is beautiful, even if you only ride it on calm days.