cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This little motor could save you from dropping your motorcycle | Hagerty Media

The embarrassment of dropping your motorcycle in a parking lot or driveway while trying to back out to leave is something that takes some time to get over. The skill, strength, and balance required to move around even a medium-sized motorcycle takes time to acquire.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/this-little-motor-could-save-you-from-dropping-your-motorc...
19 REPLIES 19
woodyambison
Pit Crew

Great idea.
usmcusa
New Driver

I can think of plenty of times I wish I had one on my Triumph Bonneville. Tell me more about this terrific gadget.
Gene_M
Intermediate Driver

So funny, you write for Hagerty and you say "For once, I think tech might be helpful." I certainly hope you are joking, without tech you most likely wouldn't be there.
AG1962
Detailer

I want one for my touring bike (1993 BMW K1100LT). I don’t think I would bother for my scooters...
Bmike
Detailer

Anyone who's had to push a somewhat hefty bike backwards out of a gravel parking spot can appreciate such a device. Alas, probably not retrofitable to our faves.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

Most trikes have something like this integrated in the transmission already. I was kind of amazed the first time I ever saw one used. I guess something like this would be good for a retrofit but honestly I would prefer a retrofit device to engage the chain by way of some sort of toggle that allows it to disengage when not in use.
RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

If it could be used to park/load, both directions, I would probably buy it. I park a 1979 XS1100 on my lift. I walk it up feathering the clutch now. To use some battery power would be quick and easier.
Tinkerah
Technician

As a smallish guy with a biggish bike I've learned well to plan my exit while executing my entrance.
MuffyBennett
New Driver

Yeah, but even good planning can go awry. I’m living proof: Dropped my BMW K1600GTL in a parking lot attempting to get the kickstand up. Center of gravity went against me; the most embarrassing moment of my 20-year career of riding.

(I now stick to lower-center of gravity bikes....)
Tinkerah
Technician

How about this instead: a compact flywheel, a gyroscope, spinning at a speed high enough to keep the bike upright on its own. Electrically powered, it could be mounted anywhere and leave the operator free to get off and push or pull the machine from anywhere there's sure footing.
Gene_M
Intermediate Driver

a pipe dream, for now.

ThumperUSMC
Intermediate Driver

I think it is a great idea. I've been riding for 60 years now, and many a time I would have loved having something like that. My old Harley WL had a servi-car transmission with a reverse gear. that was fun to play with even if I never really needed to use it. However, I switched from riding big inch Harleys that I customized and started customizing them back in the 60's, I now ride my '95 FLHTCUI which I have put over 150,ooo miles on and I'm not getting any younger, no matter how much I want, something like that would be a fantastic item to have for when it would be needed. I have not ever had the pleasure of not being able to get out of where I parked, but several times, ok...many times, I wished I had some "help"...LOL
bhankinsonn
Intermediate Driver

That appears to be a wonderful solution to those who ride a 700lb plus motorcycle. I had a BMW 1200LT with the reverse function provided through the starter motor which made manuvering an 800lb bemoth much easier, often wished by Kawasaki 1500 was also so equipped. Will be interesting to see if it gains traction in the market place
egaudet
Pit Crew

What I don't get is, why is it a 3.6V motor???
Rider79
Instructor

Those ugly swingarm-mounted fenders look about as silly as can be - their appearance clearly smacks of poor design. If the designers didn't feel the need to jack the rear frame and fender sky-high, these stub fenders would not be needed to satisfy legal requirements. And, they are very much NOT "nearly ubiquitous"; rather, they seem to be mostly on certain types of performance-oriented "naked" bikes.

At least the electric ugly duckling shown has a real purpose.
wirekat
Pit Crew

I like it but I already have two rolling rolling frames I park my bikes.
MuffyBennett
New Driver

Very interesting; I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Jerry
New Driver

I have a FZ1 and have no problem moving that around but with my Indian Chieftain maybe it could be useful
brb
Advanced Driver

Buy your bikes pre-dropped, Saves ego and money.

Honda has been providing reverse on their Goldwings for years. It's a pity more manufacturers do not make it a standard feature on heavy bikes. As far as a retrofit, it's interesting, but I am in the camp that if you can't pick it up, you shouldn't be riding it.