cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

This high-po Oldsmobile Silhouette OSV concept is somehow for sale in Canada

It’s not every day you come across an Oldsmobile Silhouette—the “Cadillac of minivans”—while perusing your favorite online automotive classifieds. This badge-engineered people mover was vastly overshadowed by corporate contemporaries like the Chevrolet Lumina and the Pontiac Trans Sport, and it was purchased almost exclusively by that small cadre of families who had made the soon-to-be-defunct Oldsmobile their ride-or-die brand.

What’s completely outlandish, however, is stumbling across a 114,000-mile (184,000-km) one-of-three 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette OSV, perhaps the strangest offshoot of General Motors’ last-ditch effort to save Olds from extinction. OSV stands for Oldsmobile Special Vehicle, which was the General’s planned in-house tuning division for a marque that had in the preceding years precisely zero ties to the street performance scene.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/this-high-po-oldsmobile-silhouette-osv-concept-is-somehow-for-sal...

7 REPLIES 7
Sajeev
Community Manager

LS4 swap is mandatory right here!

petersalt
Intermediate Driver

Can't fit a V8 mounted transversely for the FWD vans.
Sajeev
Community Manager

That is incorrect.  FWD V8 minivans are already on the Internet, and we need more of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWbeD3Cq70o&feature=emb_title

geozinger
Detailer

I remember this OSV van from back in the day. As a current owner of a final year (but not Final 500) Silhouette, these still look good to me. There was a fair amount of customization done to the interior and exterior of the van, but little really done to the engine. I'd like to have seen them swap in a 3.8L V6 or maybe the then-soon to be an option on W-bodies, the 5.3L V6 to give it some punch. Unfortunately, I guess they had to tow the corporate line and make the 3.4L V6 breathe through a better exhaust. Yay.

I'd love to this in my driveway, but I don't have to wherewithal to import something like this back to the US. My loss, I guess.

geozinger
Detailer

I went to edit my comment, but when presented with the window to make edits, the button reads "answer question" not update or anything similar. I just wanted to change 5.3L V6 to 5.3L V8...

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hey Geozinger, any chance you can PM me a screenshot of that error message?  

MatchesMX12
Passenger

I really like this actually. The bodykit (I presume that's a kit) with the subtle front splitter and sideskirts looks nice and has aged well. The wheels are common, would have been a selection from any of several ads found in Super Street or Sport Compact Car magazines. This car is maybe even a little before its time, as the van VIP scene is a thing now...