cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This factory-crated 1982 Honda CBX shows that originality is still king

Over the last couple of years, several new-in-crate motorcycles have popped up for sale and sold for big money. As bike values overall have been increasing, the crated values have followed, climbing exponentially. Maybe you think a storing away a motorcycle still in its original wrapper is a form collecting, or, perhaps, cruel abuse to an innocent bike. Either way, a bike still in its shipping crate is a time-capsule preservation of how the machine looked when it left the factory, even if the machine’s intended purpose—for a rider to enjoy it—was never fulfilled.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/this-factory-crated-1982-honda-cbx-shows-that-originality-...

Replies (3)

Replies (3)

Back in the 80's I handled claims for motorcycle insurance companies, and was in many  dealerships. The profit on motorcycles was very low, something like $100 if memory serves. As one dealer told me "we don't sell motorcycles, we buy service customers." Consequently, it was not unusual for dealers to have quite a few 2 or 3 year-old bikes still in the crate as the dealer considered them to be current models and sold them as such, even though they had been produced a few years earlier. I can easily see how a bike could become forgotten and sit on a back shelf for years. 

Detailer

I actually owned two CBXs. Honda dumped previous model years CBX inventory in mid winter. My local dealer had a sale on them for about $2,400 brand new.

On the plus side, great smooth power and sound, excellent "straight-line" brakes.

On the minus side, engine block leaks oil, wont start below 50 deg F, long crankshaft is like a giroscope combined with flexi-flyer frame (don't use the brakes on an off-ramp).

Did not keep it very long. Years later I got nostalgic and bought a nice used CBX, rode it for a while, but the same gremlins were there. Great window dressing though ... Gary

Pit Crew

One of those cars too far ahead of its time. But predicting the future. Be cool to see a write up on those ground breaking cars.

Intermediate Driver