cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This could be the fuse that lights off the FJ80 market | Hagerty Media

If you haven't been following the Toyota truck market this may come as a surprise, but a mint-condition 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 just sold for $141,000 on Bring a Trailer. We, of course, have been following the Toyota truck market and the FJ80 in particular; we added it to our Bull Market List last year.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/fuse-that-lights-off-fj80-market/
26 REPLIES 26
gregbert
New Driver

A good follow-up story would be how the Toyota FJ Cruiser Used Prices are also going through the roof. A recent sub-20K mile example recently sold for $64K. Crazy. I'm glad I already have mine!
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

This is bizarre. I kind of get the attraction to the really old, funky looking SUV's because you stand out from the crowd a bit and some of the earliest ones are interesting to look at. It's the kind of thing that can get trendy. But this one is a melt into traffic vehicle. It's nice enough, and I'm sure it's a good vehicle, but... huh?
Eric
Hagerty Employee

We did cover this very subject back in 2017 --- might be time to revisit.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/toyota-fj-cruiser/

Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

It's a good article. Thanks.
Tennbull
New Driver

I can see the market exploding on the 80 & 100 Series. I just purchased a 2006 100 series and consider myself lucky to find a clean rust free example with less than 200k.This wasn’t a “spur of the moment”decision.I had a sizable nest egg put back to pay cash for the right Cruiser when one came available.I also looked at what was available in newer SUV’s and weighed the pros and cons,drove a few also.I’m sure that I could have purchased something newer with better fuel mileage for what I paid,but hey,you only live once...
dennis6
New Driver

Beautiful Land Cruiser! My 1997 4 runner has close to 300,000 miles and has been trouble free and should have many more miles to go. No worries road trips. The style is similar to this Land Cruiser and both of their clean and simple lines are pleasant to the eye. For now there is no need to sell and buy a new or newer model.
hurst63
New Driver

I looked into getting an FJ80 for a capable 4x4. But then I thought - no. All the ones I looked at were pretty beat. Leather interior did not hold up well. Way underpowered. Gas mileage was really bad - 12-14mpg. And the technology was very old. I ended up getting a 500hp Porsche Cayenne Turbo that is more than capable off road with better to the same MPG. It has reliable air suspension. And, with the PDCC option mine has, the sway bars effectively disconnect for off road rock scrambling. The twin turbo engine is dry sump - capable of sustained 45% incline driving w/o oil starvation. And, the ride settings available make it a job. All for $18K a couple years ago. The money for this one is useless - its value means you can't really add any miles. What fun it that.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

I lost you on the $18k
That is a typo right?
hurst63
New Driver

Used 2008 Cayenne Turbo with 84K miles. Original List was $108K - used in 2019 it was $18K The beauty of depreciation when you live at the bottom of the curve.
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

That price sounds right to me for a really nice Cayenne Turbo. I used to run a shop where I'd see non-Turbo Cayennes purchased at BHPH lots by people who couldn't afford to change the oil, which is a service proportionate in cost to the original MSRP.
MattK
Detailer

Right, it's like the 2002-2006 VW Phaeton depending on condition and Mileage a $75,000-$96,000 dollar car built off the Bentley Platform can be had now for $5,000-18,000. A bargain. Just make sure you have the Money for a major repair, it could sink you.
JAG
Intermediate Driver

These were just awesome off road vehices but $141,000 eye candy? I get low mile sports and muscle cars, and even 60ties trucks as art and not ever being driven again but any of these are not that. Including C/K 2 dr Blazers/Tahoe's, Broncos etc. There is a crash coming.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

Yes, I am with you. Just bizarre. Maybe if it was Brewster's Millions time or something, but honestly, the thought of spending that much money for this vehicle - and I don't care how much money you "have" - seems depraved.
MattK
Detailer

People of Normal means, (myself included) tend to think this way. They think in normal terms with a normal salary equation say a $30,000-$150,000. If you were super rich you wouldn't think this way. You have the Money and it's not going to hurt you to spend that money on something you like. Look at the Many stories of people who hit the lottery and they say no way I won't spend it all! And they wind up broke dead broke, Because the self control wasn't there for that limited amount of a windfall that they had. The Super rich do not have those limits and have a constant source of income streaming to them. It's like they say, "He's got money to burn"
Maestro1
Instructor

Adam, I agree with the person who said this is bizarre, similar to Porsche prices. Once again, herd lust, this time for a sensible truck. But not at this price level. The concept of buying the best of anything you can afford still holds, but not irrational numbers.
Thank you for this and stay well.
stevecobb45
Detailer

Make mine a Jeep Wagoneer with a 401.
IGetTheLCThing
New Driver

I get it completely. The same thing is already happening with the 100 Series, and will continue. Low volume, completely overbuilt, unstoppable, proven worldwide in all conditions. This is an aspirational vehicle that also functions supremely well as a daily driver. Look what’s happening to early Broncos, which pale in comparison to LCs.
SJ
Instructor

After Pet Rocks nothing surprises me anymore.
OHCOddball
Detailer

Yes, their great cars, but NOT worth that kind of money.
gacocks
New Driver

Australians have had a long love affair with Toyota Landcruisers since Land Rover quality problems in the 1970s caused them to lose control of the 4WD market. The Landcruiser (and to a lesser extent the Nissan Patrol) became the offroader of choice in the outback. Great to see the Japanese product now getting recognition.
MustangJim
Detailer

Wow...not knocking the truck, it's darn good but this world is off it's axis.
MR
Intermediate Driver

I’ve got a 2005 Envoy XUV V-8 4x4
2005 was the final year of production. Probably no more that 100 made with these options. To me it’s just a truck.
Are these older SUV’s getting followers and commanding these sort of crazy prices? I truly do not understand.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Mmmm that dark jewel toned teal color really gets me moving! The various JDM versions of the Landcruisers/ Prados etc. are coming over too, and that boxy look is really neat in a sea of swoopy no rear visibility grocery getter crossovers.
Britbiker
New Driver

I’m currently rebuilding my ‘96 after 300K miles. Still ran like new, just needed cleaning and new seals. The quality is like no other car I’ve torn down. Most engine parts are powder coated and look like new after cleaning. Uncoated parts are either aluminum or stainless. This is why it sold for almost double that of a 4Runner of the same year, which I’ve also rebuilt. No comparison in quality!
bro_zar
New Driver

It will be interesting to see what this 37k mile LX450 will go for. You cant even get majority of those parts from Toyota anymore.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-lexus-lx-22/
98SNAKEEATER
Pit Crew

Hmm, might be time to list my 97 Factory Locked TLC
Only half a million miles and still drives like brand new
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opYuJFyu7j0