cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

This all-original, aluminum-bodied hot rod is a real Lulu

I was 10 years old when Mickey Thompson designed and built his Harvey Aluminum Special for the 1962 Indy 500. The V-8 sat low behind the driver in an all-aluminum chassis with aerodynamic skin. Ever since, I’d always wanted to build my own car from scratch.

In early 2019, at age 68, I had the tools, the time, and the garage space, so I tested my skills with this tribute.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/this-all-original-aluminum-bodied-hot-rod-is-a-real-...

11 REPLIES 11
kcshelby
Intermediate Driver

Beautiful craftsmanship, sir!

Mechanic1
New Driver

Thank you. Lulu was so much fun, I’m building another mid rear engine all aluminum car, but this time a single seater, with a BMW K1600B MC engine. She should finish up at 850# some time in the Spring. 

You can learn a lot building from scratch, and its actually easier than building a kit...no instructions to follow.....

USIron
New Driver

I grew up in Westboro, Mass. Beautiful car but I noticed the sign hanging up right away!

Mechanic1
New Driver

Yes, I grew up in Westboro too and used to bicycle up to Larry Broga’s house and look at his drag racer in his garage....never had the courage to walk in and see it up close. 

Dad ran a machine shop in town, so engines were always a focus around the house. 

Nice town to grow up in. 

USIron
New Driver

Mechanic1 my parents bought Broga's house and the dragster too! We ran it for years before my father upgraded to a rear engine car. He still has it. Wanna buy it? LOL
Swamibob
Advanced Driver

Far out!!!  I love the Brooklands windscreens.  What's the wheelbase?

Mechanic1
New Driver

The WB is 102” x 76” max width at rims. She has a very low COG so she rotates flat...point and shoot. Colin Chapman’s “add lightness” works better that add power is what I think i see. 

Swamibob
Advanced Driver

Very cool. Thank you.
JuanchoS4
Passenger

I'm interested in learning more about the process to get your ride street legal. Would you be willing to call or email with me about this? 

Mechanic1
New Driver

Here in NM you can “self affirm” a home built. Pay your taxes, weight it, prove nothing is stolen, and get a plate and VIN. Very refreshing attitude toward tools and time

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yeah it varies by state, you need to find someone in your state that builds kit cars to get valid information.