cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This 609-hp 500 XL is a Galaxie beyond stock

The 1960s were prime time for undeclared war: America versus Russia in space, and the Big Three carmakers on race tracks and the street. This is the era when the muscle cars we cherish prowled the avenues searching for someone, anyone, to challenge. Back then, stupendous horsepower and acceleration were within reach of your average grocery-shelf stocker.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/this-609-hp-500-xl-is-a-galaxie-beyond-stock/

View Entire Topic

In the early '70's and being a USAC car part of the builder and part of the pit crew of it, I had an original 390/401HP 1961 Ford Starliner which I repowered with a Holman Moody 427 side oiler blocked 427 with the reworded original tri-power and it had a top loader 4 speed, Hurst shifter, 3:89 open gear and I reworked the chassis. The engine machine shop work was done by American engine plus I ran headers with 4" dumps by Robin Hood Muffler's in Cicero Illinois. That car weigh in at about 4200 pounds and one late night coming home from work, a Chicago cop in his almost new 428CJ Torino tried it on for size. He had no chance after 4 of 5 tries. A lot of others tried that too but the tank always won but unfortunately, I was always busy with the USAC stock car and never made it to the strip to get any time on it in a 1/4 mile. Then Uncle Sam got me for Nam, so I let my best friend care for it while I was away. On my return, the car was not the same and I found out he tore the 3:89 gear out of it plus I was never home because of USAC and that car. There for, after being married 3 years I made the choice of USAC, My car or being married. I stayed married and have no regrets to this day and sold the car for $350, and the guy still owes me $25 to this day, and it originally came from a connection through the late and great Ford NASCAR driver Fred Lorenzen from Elmhurst Illinois of that era.

Pit Crew