cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

This 1973 Gremlin perfectly captures the '80s

The Gremlin was AMC's shortcut into the subcompact market. By chopping down the Hornet into a hatchback, AMC was able to offer a lighter, more affordable car while saving on the development of a unique platform or front sheetmetal. The resulting car wasn't as striking as the Javelin-based AMX-GT show car, but we have to admit that it is charming. The Gremlin's only become more appealing since.

This outrageously bold Gremlin, available on Bring a Trailer, reminds us that the tiny platform can still pack an abundance of style and even a V-8 engine.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/this-1973-gremlin-perfectly-captures-the-80s/

10 REPLIES 10
OldRoad
Instructor

Sits to high in the rear. Needs to be shackled down.

geozinger
Detailer

Hard pass. Other than the paint, this thing looks like something I would have constructed in high school. However, the story behind the car with the paint job would be interesting. 

hoser48
Pit Crew

Probably the crappiest car I ever owned.  Bought it from my sister-in-law and sold it back to her .....after I hit a deer.

BillHanlon
Intermediate Driver

Given the "basket of snakes" wiring under the hood, can you imagine what it looks like under the dash?

JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Love it!  I think it would be fun to own a car that when people were sitting next to you at a light, an unstoppable smile would come across their face looking at it.  

Gdr
Passenger

I’m interested in it, question is, how much is it going for? 

CP66
Intermediate Driver

Sold in '18 on BaT for 3950, currently sitting at 4400 with the auction ending in 2 days.
Mike66
Navigator

Yet another classic non-GM car ruined by the installation of another boring SBC.

OldCarMan
Instructor

I don't know what '80s anything ever looked like this. It is a used black/black Gremlin that has a tired interior and the wrong engine, sits too high and is just a starter project to redo the entire car. Not impressed at all...

spoom
Technician

I'm not automatically against putting a small block Chevy in various vehicles, but in this case even the standard 304 Gremlin X was quite the potent little car and it was easy to go upwards in horsepower using all American Motors products. Many an unsuspecting SBC powered vehicle got smoked by a "worked on" 5.0L Gremlin with a little weight over the rear axle. And then there's ones like this one; (SBC lovers need not apply) https://www.motoringresearch.com/america-news/rarest-gremlin-headed-to-auction/