cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This 1970 1/2 Chevrolet Camaro is frill-free and totally amazing | Hagerty Media

The Trains, Planes, and Automobiles car show held every September in Geneseo, Illinois-home of my Packard-restoring buddy, Dave Mitchell (and whose 1953 Buick Super Estate wagon was featured here last year)-is a great event.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/klockau-classics/this-1970-1-2-chevrolet-camaro-is-frill-free-...
13 REPLIES 13
70-Z28-RS-LT-1
Pit Crew

"Out of 117,604 1970.5 Camaros produced, only 12,566 had the Turbo-Thrift Six. How many can be left?"

Out of almost 125,000 1970.5 Camaros produced, only 8,733 were Z28's.  How many could be left?  I'd like to know this myself. 

Tinkerah
Technician

Of the 8,733 produced, there are no more than 25,000 left.
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I was not aware a straight 6 engine was available in this car. Kudos for leaving it in when the urge to go V8 is easily available.
OldRoad
Instructor

That 250 6 was the big brother of the Iron Duke, GM's push rod 4 that powered many a Nova not to mention a few fishing boats. Best 4 cyl ever in my opinion.
Tinkerah
Technician

And your local mail carrier truck even to this day.
OldRoad
Instructor

Did not know that.
OldRoad
Instructor

70-72 Mavericks and Mercury Comets were great templates for muscle. The standard 302 2bbl was good for about 200 HP. Not factory muscle but many of us have made both Ford and Mercury models
very competitive for very little money with mods. These cars are the very heart and soul of the 65-66 Mustang, in other words they are Falcons with an aerodynamically improved body. The design of the eng hood made for great high speed down force and the dished rear facia the same for high speed rear stability even without a rear spoiler. Yes Thomas, you've struck nerve with your Maverick snort.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Agreed 100%, those were better muscle cars than the ones from its era, because they were smaller and lighter. If my googling is correct, a V8 Maverick coupe is even lighter than the original Pontiac GTO. Except they weren't called Muscle Cars, because the genre progressed into larger platforms by then. Which is unfortunate, but ...

If you look at how things got better over time but how muscle cars became bloated, the better aero, lower weight, more safety equipment (i.e. fancy steering column that collapses, standard seatbelts, etc.) shows that the Maverick just needed aftermarket bits on the motor to be a real performer. 

Too_Many_Cars
New Driver

NO SUCH THING AS A 70.5 Camaro. Chevrolet NEVER marketed it that . The '69's were carried over because of a manufacturing delay with getting the quarter panels for the 1970 Camaro right.
WHY do people, especially Hagerty now, continue to keep passing along this misinformation. Did you bother to read the paper in the window of the Red Camaro that you have posted above ??? Does the owner of that car claim it's a 1970.5 ??? No, because he knows better and you should too.
BobL79
New Driver

When the ‘70 Camaros and Firebirds did come out in February, I thought it was due to two things, getting the cars to meet new emissions regulations that ramped up each year, and the various strikes at GM during those same timeframes. There was an extra long one in 1972 that when finally over caused some cars from that model year, not meet the ‘73 regulations. So there were some that were to be donated to schools for teaching purposes. I worked at a junior college back then (like being in high school but with ashtrays), and a 72 Camaro was donated to their Auto Tech school for that very reason. For me, I was able to get a ‘71 Rallye Sport with the 350 but a 2 barrel and single exhaust. As to the 6 cylinder cars, there were always those sitting on the lots along with the 307 V8s. The SS and Z28s usually were for those placing orders. Fun car in the summer but treacherous in the Chicago winters. Had to put a bag of sand in the trunk and switch to radials for any inclement weather.
oldcars
Intermediate Driver

Camaro and maverik or comet are not in the same category. Never were and never will be
OldRoad
Instructor

Your right Mavericks and Comets are lighter and handle better at high speed. 140 MPH and it was not done because I lifted when I glanced at the speedo, it was at 6 o clock. That is 20 MPH past 120. I chickened cause my tires at the time were 93Ts.
salguod
Pit Crew

Sometime in the summer of 2019, a guy showed up to our Columbus Cars and Coffee with an original 6 cylinder Camaro. It was just like this one, except it had 100K miles (I think), was much scruffier, wore rally wheels, was a green color much like the Firebird above and it had the floor shift <em>3 speed stick</em>. How many do you think came <em>that</em> way?

Similar story too, a woman had bought it and drove it until she couldn't drive any more. I think she may have handed it down to a grandson or nephew, likely where the rally wheels came from, but he thankfully didn't seem to do anything else to it.

The owner was committed to it's originality. He intended to put the original wheels & dog dish caps back on, recover the worn seat and just keep it on the road. It was fantastic.

BTW - I owned a 250 powered 1976 Camaro with an automatic in HS and it was a dog. Very slow and not that thrifty. I'm pretty sure a small block would have had better economy and more fun, although not at the same time.