cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This 1965 Chevy El Camino is an autocross underdog | Hagerty Media

In choosing a car for autocross, light, nimble, short-wheelbase cars like Mazda Miatas, BMW M3s, and Porsche Caymans perform well. On the larger end of the spectrum, you'll find some Chevrolet Corvettes and Camaros at weekend events. You have to look pretty far down that list, however-as in, almost to the bottom-before you find " Chevrolet El Camino."
https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/1965-chevy-el-camino-why-i-drive/
1 REPLY 1
hyperv6
Racer

I used a ZQ8 GMC Sonoma. 

I made them wonder when I showed up and then shocked them when I out ran some of the cars. 

After a few runs I learned the fast way around was to drive in hard and deep on the anti locks and off the corners smooth and easy on the throttle. This help put the power to the ground better with the lite rear end. 

Also the V6 had power but not so much that you could over drive it too easily. 

I had a lot of fun and it was my daily driver so no need for any special things. 

My favorite car was a Z06 Corvette. It made going fast feel slow. If not for the drifting out of the turns it really did not feel fast. 

I have noted this in a number of cars that are tuned well. They slow the feeling of speed down and don’t make you work hard going fast.