cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

This 100-point 1952 Vincent Rapide has been raising hell on the show circuit | Hagerty Media

When I was a boy, my dad taught me to ride a Honda 250 Dream on our alfalfa farm in Colorado. I've been a bike guy ever since. In 2002, I started to collect show bikes, and I got into Vincents. In succession, I owned a Black Shadow, a Black Lightning, and a Python Sport.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/this-100-point-1952-vincent-rapide-has-been-raising-...
23 REPLIES 23
Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

Oh, how us bikers wish that we owned this beautiful Vincent. Just to walk around it and appreciate it for what it is would be an absolute pleasure. I have seen a lot of Vincents here in UK, both in museums and bike shows, however, none of them can hold a candle to this one.
gbrown
Pit Crew

Thanks for kind words.Have really had lot of fun with my red/black Rapide
Makes life bit easier at times
Airrecon
Pit Crew

Really glad to know he rides it. Too many vehicles are used just for show. All vehicles, no matter the numberof wheels should be ridden or driven
DaveA
Detailer

That is a beautiful bike. I’m glad someone rescued it. I hate when people set projects aside for years (or decades) knowing full well that they’ll likely never complete it, instead of selling it and letting someone restore it and enjoy it.
JimRatti
New Driver

I remember this bike well! My Honda CB350F came in at (a probably distant!) second place to Gene at Keeneland in 2014. It is indeed a gorgeous restoration.
gbrown
Pit Crew

Thanks fir your kind words about Hellboy. I remember your nice Honda too
kcshelby
Intermediate Driver

Beautiful! Wish I could hear it!

DC
Intermediate Driver

May or may not be a nice bike, but what kind of car show would pit a Dusenberg, an airplane and a bike against one another ?
Jay
Intermediate Driver

Yes, that was my reaction as well. Sort of like entering the Westminster Dog Show and having your Schnauzer lose to a motorcycle.

gbrown
Pit Crew

Unamimous decision by 3 judges:

GUESS you cant grasp idea  Hellboy super restoration, top of table bike with show comprised( awards eligible) of  cars, bikes and planes.Plus nearly ALL Concours and shows subjective.Youll live longer if you lighten up with some perspective 

Zephyr
Instructor

Sorry, but this reply is gibberish. I can't grasp the idea either.
chrlsful
Instructor

Sometimes it takes a great curator - deep pockets, vision, knowledge, the will, contacts, skill. Here it took all of this and more. Thank you for your perseverance as well...
maxi50
New Driver

Absolute perfection; colour, finish, style. Well done.
51JaguarC-type
Intermediate Driver

100 point for the person that did the restoration and the owners wallet.
OldCarMan
Instructor

It would seem like most modern "restorations" that it is actually over-restored.
A lovely, rare, bike to be sure, but what criteria have been used?
gbrown
Pit Crew

Every part on Hellboy original,  useable and restored except clutch lever which cost 500$ to replace.  I had 3  mational Vincent motorcycle experts/ judges consult on bike to ensure : originality, Vincent authenticity & accuracy of pieces and verification of original " Works Records" documents which show important  manufacture details dated February 13,1952.Hellboy for starters is matching engine number, upper and lower frame matching numbers motorcycle as it was when produced in 2/52.  Very unusual for  a bike, car or any machine to be as it was made 69 yrs later.Further used nationally acclaimed restoration  painter, Jeff Snyder , Jeff Resurrections  Austin,TX, to paint and properly pinstripe Hellboy. Truly a bike of a lifetime.Thanks  for your words and interest

Gene Brown Denver

Airrecon
Pit Crew

Thanks for riding it. Way too many wonderful vehicles just see the light of day for shows
40Ford
Detailer

They didn't have air filters? (Last photo)
Al
Intermediate Driver

I wondered abut that, myself
Jim1969
Intermediate Driver

I’ve always loved cars and motorcycles. I started hanging around a local cycle shop when I was 13, 1963. They sold Honda’s and Ducati’s. Jimmy Denton and another guy owned the shop. Denton played drums for the Sparkletones. They were on the Ed Sullivan Show. Anyway, they repaired anything. That was the first time a saw Vincent, and a Zundapp. On Saturdays all kinds of motorcycles would ride in. Triumphs, Norton’s, BSAs, Honda’s, and Harley’s. Check out the Del McCoury song,My 52 Blacklighting Vincent on u tube. The guys red Vincent is beautiful.
drhino
Technician

I’m typically a preservation fan and love to see original paint/finishes— especially on bikes. Sounds like that wasn’t possible here. Love the use of original parts and it’s wonderful that this rare beast was saved.
czmx
Pit Crew

Excellent job, Gene. Well done, sir!
Airrecon
Pit Crew

I always thought my Dad, a self made very successful civil engineer was pretty daned smart. But reading this article I discovered that he really messed up when he paid just over $2,100 for my mother a new Chevrolet DeLuxe loaded with radio, heater and Power Glide auto trans. Had he waited one more year he could have bought her a new Cadilac for just over half thought amount.