cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Think trucks are portly and pricey? Ford's $21.5K, 40-mpg Maverick would like a word | Hagerty Media

It's no secret that pickup trucks are the golden geese for the Big Three automakers here in the states. They're big, cushy, ridiculously capable, and laden with more tech than your local Best Buy. People are buying them in droves. But sometimes, bigger isn't always better.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/think-trucks-are-portly-and-pricey-fords-21-5k-40-mpg-maverick-wo...
95 REPLIES 95
bradfa
Intermediate Driver

The multi-position tailgate looks cool, and would be useful on every truck with less than 4 feet between the wheel arches. The pricing seems quite good and the MPG should quiet the "trucks are evil" people somewhat. I'm surprised there's not more photos of bikes, skis, and surfboards but maybe Hagerty didn't include those glamour shots here?
The Hyundai can't fit more than 1 real mountain bike in the bed, can this?
RonD
Intermediate Driver

CVT, torsion bar....yuck 😬
CitationMan
Advanced Driver

That model is marketed to people who don’t know what a CVT or torsion bar is. They see that Hybrid badge and that’s all that matters to them.
Air_and_Water
Intermediate Driver

A CVT on a hybrid is a wildly different animal than it is on a purely gas engine car. It has two inputs and one output and is incredibly efficient. There are only two ways to do a hybrid (not counting one electrically driven axle and one gas powered axle) and that's this type of system (at Toyota uses and patented) or in-line, which is transmission agnostic. It's why the Honda CRZ, 1st generation Accord Hybrid and 1st generation Civic Hybrid could be opted with a manual. That system is considerably less efficient and I'm not even sure Honda uses it any more. I wouldn't buy any CVT in a car with an otherwise conventional drivetrain, but I'd definitely consider this.
MustangJim
Intermediate Driver

Thank you for that info. I knew that a cvt was the only choice on most hybrids, now I have a better understanding as to why. I agree, if buying a hybrid I'll accept a cvt, otherwise will not.
Guitar74
Gearhead

A co-worker showed me one, and then I tuned him out when I heard "front wheel drive". No thanks, I'll keep my '95 F150 XL which sold for $14k brand new. 

This is for the Metropolitan who might use it as a truck twice a year. This is more like the old 4 cyl Ranger  but without all of the things that gave it the toughness to use like a truck. I foresee this being the new soccer mom ride of choice.

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

$14k In 1995 is $24.5k today, so Maverick XLT money. Unbelievably, a 75% inflation rate since then.

Guitar74
Gearhead

Yeah. That is CRAZY!!!! But....as long as there are guys willing to spend that kind of money, they will gladly keep charging astronomical prices. I just looked at what an XL costs to order, and even THAT is above the inflation rate by 5K.

Bill
Detailer

Hope it comes as a short regular cab, otherwise they missed the mark.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

[Narrator's voiceover]: "They missed the mark."
Air_and_Water
Intermediate Driver

Did they? For most if it can't seat 4 it's a non-starter, which would kill most potential sales. That said, I hope that in the future there's a second model with either a standard cab and the longest bed possible or at least an extended cab with a 5.5-6 ft. bed. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Guitar74
Gearhead

There is still a market for single cab pickups. Otherwise the XL models wouldn't still have them as an option. It's that the "pickup fad" came along in the 90s along with astronomical prices that ended up taking a truck from one of the cheapest vehicles you could buy because it was considered and equipped to be utilitarian, to one of the most "expensive" vehicles you could buy because the "urban cowboy" crowd had to have all the bells and whistles on their rides to impress the young ladies at the "line dancing bars" with a truck that would NEVER be used as a truck.

Tim
Advanced Driver

Regular cabs are all-but-gone in the pickup market. SuperCrew (4 full doors) are the vast majority of sales. SuperCabs (2+2) make up a small percentage of the rest and regular cabs are practically special order. Chances of a regular cab? Zero percent. Chances of a SuperCab in the Maverick? Near zero.

At first, I thought a SuperCab would be perfect. But if the rear seats sacrificed leg room and became unusable but for smaller children, that would be pointless. And if you extend the length of the vehicle six inches, you're in Ranger territory. Ford seems to have made that decision by answering the question, "How do I get my 4x8s home from Home Depot?"

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

I agree that you’ll probably never see a Maverick regular cab with a longer bed, but if sales to tradesmen take off, you might see a Supercab with a longer bed. The inside space will make for great tool storage, and seating capacity will be secondary. The fact that the Ranger has a Supercab does increase the odds. There are also spy shots out there of the next gen Ranger with a regular cab. I really want to see how the other manufacturers respond to the Maverick, that’s how we might get some interesting variations.
Guitar74
Gearhead

They are still available if you get the Ford XL.

CitationMan
Advanced Driver

bblhed
Detailer

Way less expensive than the equivalent Tacoma, but is it worth it?
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

There is no equivalent Tacoma.
BMD4800
Instructor

Ask owners about the transmission, rear-gear whine, or the lack of power.

This is historically true, but since 2016, they have been chasing a dragon and forgot about their legacy.

At least the frames are better.
JohninNC
Detailer

CVT?? yikes. I like the idea of this size truck. I really dislike the front end, looks like an older Mitsubishi or something.
Air_and_Water
Intermediate Driver

CVT is a requirement for that type of hybrid to function. It isn't like those awful things that have been available for gassers, though. While I'd rather have the ecoboost and a regular (ideally manual!) transmission, I wouldn't dismiss the hybrid easily. It gets better mileage than my Honda Fit and is bigger, roomier, and has much more capability in spite of the Honda's excellent use of space.
Guitar74
Gearhead

I would have to see the actual design, but I have NEVER been a fan of CVT transmissions. They have never really proven themselves reliable. Of course at the loads this will likely carry, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I think a manual trans and an automatic (real auto not the dual clutch things they seem to be putting in everything) would be a great option.

BMD4800
Instructor

CVTs, regardless of the type, are not robust.

But, to get that magic 40mpg hybrid FWD, you’re getting one. Curious if it is a JATCO sourced unit?

Delusion77
New Driver

Ford licenses their hybrid drivetrain from Toyota.  The Toyota hybrid CVT is not related at all to the belt or cone style cvt found in non-hybrids.  It uses planetary gearsets just like in a normal auto but has 2 electric motors in addition to the engine. There are several videos showing the operation much better than I can explain in words 

Leroy
New Driver

I like what I see with this truck. It will be perfect for people who want to haul their Home Depot purchases, bicycles, kayaks, etc but don't need or want a monster truck that they can't park between the lines in the parking lot. In my opinion all the pick up trucks today are just too big, too bulky and way too expensive.
I have an F-150 super crew. It drives good, looks good and pulls my 3500lb boat just fine but it it just too big. Before the F-150 I had a first generation Tundra it also drove great, looked good and pulled my boat just fine, but it was much smaller easier to maneuver around the parking lot or between the trees when out in the woods.
I predict the Maverick will be very successful for Ford, especially if they can keep the price down.
JGeske
Intermediate Driver

You sound like Honda's target market. The Ridgeline tows 5000lbs (enough for your boat, it certainly pulls my 3800lb Coleman bunkhouse just fine), is smaller than a full size truck by around a foot in length and easy to use in cities (mostly due to the 64inch bed), but is only a couple inches narrower than an F150 which results in the largest cab in the mid-size segment (it is equal to a Silverado Double Cab). That width actually allows you to haul 4x8 material (1580lbs of it) flat between the wheel wells. The bed of the Ridgeline is 60 inches wide overall, and 51 inches at the tailgate and wheel wells. Rides like a dream while returning 28mpg highway with the AC on, 12-15mpg with the camper behind it depending on the terrain, and is the ultimate Home Depot machine. Plus integrated cooler/cargo trunk and an outlet in the bed. Shameless pitch from Ridgeline owner over.

I grew up learning to drive in my dad's many beat up trucks (a whole yard of them like his 89 Ranger extended cab) and his one nice 2000 Silverado. I like trucks, but I don't tow anything more heavier than the camper named above, or offroad, so after having an honest conversation with myself and factoring out machismo, I bit the bullet and got the 2017 Ridgeline and, unless my towing needs change, I will never buy anything else than a unibody mid-size again.
CitationMan
Advanced Driver

Considering that a fully loaded Maverick Lariat is priced close to a Ridgeline, I’ll take the Ridgeline for its V6, larger cab and bed. I also like the Ridgeline’s better back seat storage with the seats up, and the trunk in the bed.
JGeske
Intermediate Driver

Exactly. In fact my dad just asked to take a ride in my Ridgeline earlier in the week to get a feel for it, as he no longer tows a tractor and is retired, and he admits he may sell his current GMC Sierra double cab for one next year as it meets his needs and is easier to climb into with his bad knees. I plan to also direct him to at least take a look at the Maverick and Santa Cruz so he can see all the options.
BMD4800
Instructor

BIL loves his Ridgeline and for what he does, it works great.

It absolutely stinks off-road. Even mild stuff. The advanced AWD system and low-slung machine does no favors, but the few times a year he could use a more capable 4x4, he’s okay walking.

His highway mileage is 1-2 better than my diesel, and he can park anywhere, while I have to carefully select a space.

Life is all about the trade-offs.
Utopia1
Detailer

The hybrid is clearly offered strictly for advertising purposes given that its $2000 more expensive than the gas version and loses AWD. I doubt many will think paying that much extra to NOT have AWD will be worth the extra fuel economy over the turbo-four. It does have a strong price-point but it looks like they saved all the money on the interior. Is it actually made from cardboard or does it just look like it?
Air_and_Water
Intermediate Driver

The hybrid is the cheaper of the two drivetrains.
grumburg
Intermediate Driver

Priced out an XLT with 2.0, sliding window, full sized spare, and hitch receiver. (about the only reasonably priced options) $25230. Not bad. Sure wish there was a SuperCab or regular cab option.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

Great to see they've maintained that butt-up. tippy toe stance so beloved of the rest of their line.
Guitar74
Gearhead

Yeah, I had to do a 2" drop in the rear to get rid of that stance in my '95. Felt like I was constantly driving down hill.

uweschmidt
Detailer

I always thought that constantly goingdown Hill feeling would also result in better Gas Mileage
dirkfathom
Pit Crew

Lose the CVT and add 4WD and you've got my interest
Air_and_Water
Intermediate Driver

The 4WD version uses a conventional transmission and is the only way (so far) to get 4WD. There also is no way to put a conventional transmission on this type of hybrid system. The only other functional layout is in-line, which is transmission agnostic, but is also far less efficient.
BMD4800
Instructor

It is AWD, not 4WD.

It would need a locking center (transaxle in this case) differential that would equally split torque front to rear to be 4WD.

picking nits, I know, but something like this will be working the ABS pump like crazy trying to stop the one wheel from spinning in an off-camber ditch-crossing. FWD-based AWD is best relegated to rain, snow, sand at the beach, or a graded forest road.
Tim
Advanced Driver

Just check the option on the order sheet. The 4WD is paired with the EcoBoost and the 8-speed transmission.
Olduglycarl
Pit Crew

Price is good but are they going to make a 2dr?...if not, no thanks, I'll keep my ole trusty 07 Ranger.
Tim
Advanced Driver

Baby that Ranger, because there will very likely never be a compact two-door pickup truck again. Maybe some Chinese company might give it a try.
jcav48
Pit Crew

Vehicle only comes as a 4 door...too bad, back to Tacoma.
Pbgray
Pit Crew

Unibody construction and CVT. Clearly this is not a truck! But that’s OK; It fits the market for a hauler that will mostly not haul a thing. This should compete well with Honda Ridgeline, but unfortunately the quality and reliability will not come close! I know, having owned multi Ford vehicles and trucks over the years, and current owner of a made in America (Alabama) Honda Ridgeline RTL-E!
Olduglycarl
Pit Crew

Not sure about that one. My Ranger just turned 250 on the odometer and has had only oil changes and one front end alignment since I bought it in 07. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Pbgray
Pit Crew

Agree, 80’s and 90’s Rangers we’re solid and bullet proof. I wonder if the new Ranger or the Maverick will hold the same longevity?
OldRoad
Instructor

Your right. I gotta 95 2.3 XL. Fine truck. Oil and filter changes and timing belts are the only troubles I've had. If you shred a cam belt, no worries, no interference. Gotta cute little factory header on it too. There is a cam timing trick you can do on that motor that will give you 6-10 extra horses without purchasing a single part.
Pbgray
Pit Crew

PS: Final point of assembly for the Maverick is Ford’s Hermosillo, Mexico plant, built on the same frame as the Focus.
Tim
Advanced Driver

It shares the same platform as the Escape and now Bronco Sport. The Focus platform was considerably shorter.
uweschmidt
Detailer

So much for BUY American !!!!!