cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

These two tools changed how I wrench on motorcycles

Time set aside to work on projects is worthy relishing. The clicks of a ratchet or the light chunk of two machined surfaces fitting together perfectly is therapeutic. No diehard DIYer wants to sacrifice this sort of mechanical zen for efficiency, but we all want to remove the crummy processes of each job so that only the rewarding bits remain.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/these-two-tools-changed-how-i-wrench-on-motorcycl...
5 REPLIES 5
Jimmyo
Intermediate Driver

About ten years ago I got a half height lift in my garage. Spending 3000. bucks on it seemed like a luxury item for someone like myself who used to wench on my cars on city streets. Well, now I can't imagine life without it. It was a game changer for me. It allowed me to tackle jobs like engine rebuilds and suspension work I've never would want to do lying on the ground. Add to that the ease of doing routine work like brake jobs and it was worth every penny.
Kyle

I have access to a full lift when I "need" it. The next garage shop will be built with having a lift in mind. I wish I could fit one into my current space, but it's just not in the cards. A mid-rise could fit, but that doesn't help with most of the work I do.
CamryDriver
Intermediate Driver

I recently bought one of the smaller style of hydraulic motorcycle lifts, the $150ish (new) variety with two parallel rubber pads that lifts underneath the frame/engine. Super handy for some bikes without fairings or exhaust underneath, but I'd never use it to lift under the exhaust of my 4cyl bikes (said bikes have centerstands, partially negating the need for said lift). But I'm never getting the nice working height of one of these proper "full" lifts. I'm gonna keep my eye out for one now with your endorsement. Storage is no problem, my third garage bay is purely motorcycle/project space.
Kyle

I found the middleground was a nice rolling stool. I could tolerate working at "tires on the ground" level if I was at least sitting on something sort of comfortable. Having carbs at eye level is a game changer though. I've been thoroughly impressed by this Harbor Freight lift, and I have a buddy who has had his even longer with no issues. Seems to be a thing where regular use keeps them from breaking down.
CamryDriver
Intermediate Driver

A nice stool sounds like a great idea. I keep wearing out my work/shop jeans on my left knee from all the kneeling/squatting I do while I work. I'm 33 now and it's not too bad but I'm sure things will get more tight/creaky in a few years if I keep this up. But I think just buying one of these fullsize lifts is the no-brainer solution.