cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

These "dwarf" cars descend from 9 refrigerators and a lot of elbow grease | Hagerty Media

The idea of recycling parts and materials to build more cars is as old as the automobile itself. Many of the first horseless carriages were essentially repurposed handcarts powered by engines plucked from industrial applications.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/these-dwarf-cars-descend-from-9-refrigerators-and-a-lot-of-elbow...
18 REPLIES 18
TonyT
Technician

A moment of hilarity was when Mr. Leno stuffed 6' 8" Brad Garrett into one of these a couple of years ago.
Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

Unbelievably talented man. I just wish I had 5% of his ability. Beautiful cars as well. Love the Mercury Sled.
1fastcat
Intermediate Driver

This guy is a true Craftsman !
topside
Advanced Driver

Is that a replica of the Beverly Hillbillies' rig in the background ? Hysterical.
Agreed, monumental talent, especially on the Merc - those compound curves could not have been easy to pull off.
silverado
Intermediate Driver

WOW!! master craft work. very KEWL!!
CJinSD
Instructor

Ernie Adams created the Dwarf racing cars that evolved into the Legends cars being raced today.
Goes2fast
Intermediate Driver

Some where I have a couple of pictures of the turquoise Ford convertible that he had at a car show from a few years ago. He didn't tell me that he had built others at the time.
merlebalke
Advanced Driver

If you're in the area the Dwarf Car Museum is well worth visiting. Although not mentioned in the story, there is another fellow who works with Ernie. He was building a 1964 Chevrolet dwarf car when we visited a couple years ago.
chrlsful
Instructor

like 2 C the equip he uses in his shop if making them from jump - completion. I think another article mentioned he duz not farm any piece out, total control, one man operation w/o contractors. THAT in itself is the remarkable to me, not the mini-cars.
1fastcat
Intermediate Driver

I was thinking the same thing , it would be great to see his shop and tools .
drhino
Technician

Fabulous. It would be interesting to know how and why he got started.
Caprice81
Intermediate Driver

The man has an amazing talent. It is also amazing that he can fit in the cars he builds. Are there other videos highlighting the other cars in his collection? It would be a treat if Hagerty would feature them in these emails.
bkmcgraw62
Intermediate Driver

That Led Sled is the finest thing to come from the likes of Frigidaire and GE!
deckerbilt
Intermediate Driver

I would hate to have to say this is the last one I'm going to build. Never stop.
turquoisetom
Pit Crew

We would get to see one of these about every year when the allowed the Arizona Fun Run. The detail seems impossible, down to the instruments in the dash! This man is a genius.... Tom Anderson. Prescott, AZ
PGA2
Pit Crew

Love that Merc lead sled. Only changes I would make are: shave the hood and decklid, french the headlights and remove the front bumper guards. Just clean it up a bit.

Phil in TX.
az57chevy
Intermediate Driver

Pretty interesting builds. Here is another article https://www.fuelcurve.com/dwarf-rods/
brb
Instructor

I have so much admiration for this level of creativity and talent. Hooray for Ernie!