cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

These 8 muscle cars are high-powered and up for grabs | Hagerty Media

Muscle cars made a comeback in early 2021, a resurgence that is cause for much rejoicing in the collector community. After a quiet period lasting over three years, a voracious appetite for high-end muscle surfaced at Mecum's Kissimmee and Muscle Car City Museum sales in January, as well as at Mecum and Barrett-Jackson's back-to-back sales in the Scottsdale area this March.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/our-favorite-8-muscle-cars-up-for-auction-this-may/
42 REPLIES 42
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

I will take them all and love them forever... just as soon as I win a mega lottery
kip
Intermediate Driver

While i am a big fan of any classic vehicle, the dollar amounts on these vehicles are absurd. Paying that kind of money just for an engine and convertible option on a plymouth is silly. Just because one person did it does not mean all need to. Especially on vehicles that you most likely cannot even drive on todays pump gas without them pinging or feel comfortable taking to your local show or cruise and have someones little johnny jump on your fender. If the guy in front of you jumped off a cliff, would you?
69BirdofPrey
New Driver

Mopar or No Car!
mwmyers91
Detailer

Never got to excited about the Mercury Cougar but man that Eliminator just grabbed me hard
ROBBO99
Intermediate Driver

I prefer the car in the blue color offered its fabulous !!
Numberscruncher
Detailer

That cougar is cool.
BMD4800
Instructor

If the car has been restored, go ahead and drive it. If it gets dinged up, restore it again.

All original, that’s a different argument.

As far as fuel, just mix with race gas or cans of additive from one of the race gas vendors. I mix fuel and carry an additive can in case I need to fuel up on a cruise. It isn’t that hard. But if that’s a barrier to owning something like this, then don’t consider a high-compression carbureted car. Plenty of other cool looking stuff is just fine running on premium.
Lightning1
Detailer

I like your attitude. If it was restored once, it can be restored again. If you can't afford a few gallons of racing or AV gas every 6 months, you can't afford the price of entry in the first place.
kip
Intermediate Driver

Agreed. I like to drive what I have. Besides the enjoyment factor, helps keep the old iron running fine. I have done the adding race gas to pump gas many times in the past. Just a hassle sometimes, and then ethanol mixed stuff at the pump is a different story altogether. Lots of other cars are more than fine with running on premium, but most guys seem to want the loudest and the fastest car at the cruise lol.

70Z28RS
New Driver

BMD4800 I just bought a 70 Z/28 RS with it's original LT-1 350 in it. Have been wondering what type of gas to use and what mixture, etc. I have found a place not too far from me that still sells 93 octane without ethanol in it. Figured I can mix that with some 110 racing gas near me also? Not sure what ratio to mix them both though. 3/4 tank 95 octane and 1/4 tank 110 octane maybe?
70Z28RS
New Driver

*93 octane, not 95
BMD4800
Instructor

The real variables in this discussion are elevation, air temps, inlet air temps, ignition curve, plug heat range, load and speed.  If you are just cruising, 93 is probably fine. 
Now, if your in Phoenix or Vegas, running the car hard, in 110 degree heat, maybe mix it to 95-97.  

Don’t mix leaded race gas for use on the street.  They look down upon such activities… 

70Z28RS
New Driver

Ok thx, sounds good. I am in VA, so not high elevation, although it might get to 95 - 100 here sometimes on hot mid-July days, but since the car doesn't have A/C on it, I won't be driving it then anyway! 😛 Haven't checked yet on the 110 octane racing gas, to see if it's leaded or not. No idea.

I did find some good gas info on the Sunoco site, where you can actually order 5 gallon cans of gas that will burn in just about anything out there these days, past or present. https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech-article/sunocoracefuels.sunoco-legacy.3waveserver.com/fuel-sele...

I really hope I don't have to ever order from there though, if possible, unless I want to store it for 2 or 3 years. They have gas for that also.
chrlsful
Instructor

find original call out for octane that motor. Then its just math and a lill pipette w/markings on it. Get a 5 gal bucket to hold 'throw aways" (there is no 'away') and mix @ the cup level. Start w/tryin to target the correct ratio (octane) at a qt amount. The pipet is avail at summitt or elsewhere https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-36-e85qft?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3nxtIdE6e... (Two ounces will raise the octane of one gallon of gasoline four full octane numbers.)
DC
Intermediate Driver

Barracudas, Cougars, 330 Dodges, Chargers nor Camaros never were not never will be Muscle cars no matter how much Hemmings would like them to be.
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

True, you are technically correct. However 99.9% of enthusiasts wouldn't know the difference and these cars are generally embraced as "muscle cars" even if they don't meet the original terminology.

Frenchie
Intermediate Driver

Hey Hey Hey do not bash the Camaro i own one 1986 Iroc Z LT1 350 Corvette motor build up to 600 Hp its fast I will drag any classics and surely i will win the race and my Camaro is a Classic buddy
FlatheadsFoe
Intermediate Driver

$5.75 to $6.5 MILLION !?! For a car!?! Any car!?! I guess that one is thrown in make the $100,000 to $400,000 cars look reasonable…
SuperDeLuxe
Detailer

The Six-Million Dollar Cuda. Who could have imagined? This is not a hand built (from the factory, restoration work not withstanding), bespoke, custom built exotic, with a 12 cylinder racing-pedigreed mill. This is American steel. Built in a massive factory for average people of modest means. Pardon my incredulity, but isn't this like paying thousands of dollars for a Hot Wheels toy? Oh wait ...
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

A raucus street machine, 1980's style, non matching numbers, interior looking worn, back tires too wide... and an animal from 0-60 would do me just fine. These are beautiful though, but the $$$.
pastorlarry
New Driver

What's with the photoshopped redline tires?
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

Why do these people insist on putting crappy polyglass tires on these cars? Tires are normal wear items meant to be replaced. These car companies never built the tires. We live in 2021 and have excellent radial tires that give better grip, ride, and are quieter. I suppose if you never intend to drive and fully enjoy your car and only are going to trailer it to car shows, you'll get all excited about having lousy tires that belong in the dustbin of history on your perfectly restored muscle car. Which, by the way, is super over-restored far beyond what the factory ever put out. This is a real pet peeve of mine. It doesn't make any sense.
kip
Intermediate Driver

Agreed. I have bought a few cars with the repro bias belted red lines and polyglas tires on them and couldnt wait to get them off for a set of basic BF Radial T/As. You can actually drive the car then.

DT
Advanced Driver

Do you really not get or just want to **bleep** about something ? Obviously every car shown is a Show Car and will never see the streets !!!
Frenchie
Intermediate Driver

ah i have Mickey Thomson drag tires and they grab the pavement
ThumperUSMC
Intermediate Driver

Ah... If only I could afford one of these... I love them all, but I would have to go with my own personal flavor and make a hard choice between the 68 Camaro and the 64 Dodge Lightweight...
Dutch
Pit Crew

Are they going to put the motor IN the Pontiac?
It looks awfully nose-high.
Tinkerah
Technician

I was going to comment something very similar about that. And whenever I see a wheel chock under a car I assume there's no transmission in it.
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

Still remember the first time I saw a Yenko Duece. Summer of 1970 at Union Grove Dragstrip in southeastern WI. Oddly, it was yellow and had the automatic! Of course I thought it should have a 4 speed......
elheadflat
Intermediate Driver

We have the same RA-IV but with the automatic and even more gentlemanlier! with a Turbo 400. We've had a lot of muscle but this one is tiger......wood wheel, hideaway headlights and cornering lights, expresso brown/green vinyl top and green interior....what were they thinking?..........solid Canadian documentation and PHS....its a keeper....but if you want one of these you will be impressed...right beside is parked a 74 TranAM SD455-4 speed...just as cool and both strong runners....git em' while you can.....
DaveB
Intermediate Driver

love this stuff!!!
MARK400
Intermediate Driver

Sixty`s and Seventy`s muscle when you could unmistakably tell what kind of car it was just by looking at it, unlike today where most daily drivers (Hyundai`s, Nissan`s, Toyota`s, Honda`s etc.etc.) seem to be copying off each others styling and all look the same.
Tinkerah
Technician

True but there's a simple explanation: great looking styles are terribly resistant to smooth airflow. The impressive mileage we get from our modern safety pods owes plenty to their efficient, generic shape.
dreamingeagle
Detailer

nice, but the chassis engineering of the period of most of these cars pretty much negates their daily and even infrequent use;
OldRoad
Instructor

The FOMOCO specialty cars of the time handled quite well out of the factory gates. Matter of fact, could be made even better with a simple and small neg camber adjustment.
Tinkerah
Technician

I respectfully disagree. While my obsolete suspensions will never be competitive against anything from any later era they are still a blast to drive every time out.
BMD4800
Instructor

A rather broad brush with which to paint. 

A 64-87 GM intermediate with radials, modern shocks, and non-worn components are quite well engineered and aren’t a buck-board by comparison. 

To compare apples and apples, I’ve driven W-body V8 cars,  and they aren’t really enjoyable.  

OldRoad
Instructor

That Cougar Eliminator also was available with a 4bbl Cleveland with the same drive train. IMHO? A better package.
Corvettebaggs
Intermediate Driver

All are ABSOLUTELY beautiful and I would love to have them all. Once again, these are cars about one's personal preference. One of 11 Hemis'. Only 3 with the 4-speed. If I had an extra 6.5 mill laying around, I'd jump all over the Cuda in a heartbeat. Trophy is as trophy do. That would be my crown jewel.
1951hudsonsuper
New Driver

On the '69 Buick GS 400, the fireglow orange poly was introduced in the Spring of '69 and actually carried over into the 1970 cars.This colour was not available at the Oshawa, Ontario, Canada plant where mine was built. Also, the Stage 1 and Stage 2 engines produced about a whopping extra 10 HP from an already 340 HP. Might have taken you from the low 12's to the high 11's if you so desired.
Gary_Bechtold
Technician

I like these cars but don't love them. To me they are of their respective models peak in terms of styling. I give the Cougar more points just because you don't see many of them on the road.
SamAdamsPaleAle
Advanced Driver

I like muscle cars as much as the next guy, but the crack you must being smoking to buy a Cuda' for six million dollars...