cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

These 7 oddball classics are sure to brighten up your garage

October 2020 is going to be a surprisingly busy month for collector car auctions, and that’s true on both sides of the Atlantic. There are no fewer than 11 live auctions on our calendar that we’ll be watching and, as usual, there are plenty of rare and unusual rides up for grabs this month. RM’s Elkhart sale in particular has some weird ones in the mix, but we narrowed it down to seven of the most unusual cars crossing the block over the next four weeks ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/these-7-oddball-classics-sure-to-brighten-up-your-garage/

30 REPLIES 30
spoom
Technician

Love the Bedford and the gogo! 🙂

Hudson
Pit Crew

Since I am not bidding money is no object!  The Dubble Bubble. looks like fun.

zfan
Passenger

So what exactly is a "sorting break"? Sounds like something for the skeet range.

2manycars
Navigator

If you have the money, shooting brake all day! You can pay that kind of money for any number of current and recent super and super-luxury cars not anywhere as unique. What AMG GT? What S65 Cabriolet? What Aston? My hunch is it goes for more.

4wheel2wheel
Intermediate Driver

A shooting brake is any vehicle, usually a station wagon body type which is used to transport hunters, their weapons and gear to the site where they will be hunting

mwmyers91
Detailer

Double Bubble hands down

dooscoop32
Detailer

My favorite weirdo would be the Fiat Multipla from the 50s.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/autohistorian/31567237552

zeus01
Pit Crew

These oddballs are, for the most part, a little more high-end value-wise. My collection would be a little more modest but a little less weird:

1. 1982 Puma (Brazilian VW-based sports car sold as a turn-key in Canada)
2. 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE. (Canadian version with headlight washers. Already owned six GSL 12As).
3. 1989 Bertone X1/9.

4. 1981 Suzuki LJ80Q 4X4 (tiny 800-cc Jeep rip-off. Already owned one).
5. '70s Manx VW dune buggy.
6. '70s Opel GT.
7. '71-'73 Datsun 240Z (the '70 would be a little too pricey for my budget).
8. 1973 Chev Impala Custom coupe (the one with the concave rear window. This was my first car, purchased cash in 1980 for a mere $1000 in about #2 to #3 condition. Would like to have another).
9. 1981 Triumph TR8 (was actually a left-over 1980, but with a small badge rather than decals).
10. 1962 Buick Skylark (the one with the all-aluminum 235 V8).

That's about it for now....

Mike_E_V
Detailer

In 1966, the year I graduated High School, I had a good friend who was well over 6 feet tall. He had 2 cars. A 1954 Ford 2 door sedan with 390/4 speed and a Lloyd. I don't recall what model it was but it was SMALL! Did I mention it was SMALL!? Funny thing is, he fit in it quite well and we could navigate alleys and thoroughfares others could not even contemplate. I discovered entirely new routes in the Lloyd cutting drastic times off of travel to and from school.

Jim_H
New Driver

In the late 1960s I visited a Porsche dealer in Connecticut, where they had a 911 police car on the showroom floor.  It was a Targa and had "Polizei" printed backwards on its hood. A blue bubble-gum-machine light was mounted on the roll bar.

Will
Intermediate Driver

Yes, the Ferrari shooting brake would be a really nice oddball.  Love it!  The Double Bubble comes in second.  The front of that Bedford Caravan reminds me of a 1957 Dodge pickup. I can't imagine sleeping with three other people in there.

ZZCowboy
Navigator

Definitely Double Bubble!

jamescalco
New Driver

look like cars from the old tv show "the Prisoner"

RodneyRacer
Pit Crew

I shake my head and wonder each time oddball cars show up with no mention of a relatively inexpensive and somewhat available fun car such as the Trabant. Just why do most writers totally miss the mark when it comes to this one? Could it be they are unsafe? No, looking at these on the list, most are very unsafe! Could it be they are not expensive enough to be considered highly desirable investment? Just what it is that they dont make the list? The 2-stroke smoke? I doubt it, you can change the exhaust smoke by using careful mixing and special oil. Or the body made of paper/cotton? No, I think not, this stuff is not far off from fiberglass. Just what is it I am missing here? Yes, I own them and I know that they bring smiles from many and curses from environmentalists. All the more reason to own one, or more!  

dhomuth
Intermediate Driver

None of the above.  I want the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

Maestro1
Instructor

Only Hagerty could come up with this. Very well done.

Carcrazy1
Passenger

I would probably have the most fun with the Bedford Caravan. It would be great at car shows and actually could be a practical camper!

cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

The Zundapp. I don't want to buy it, I want to ADOPT it.

The Ferrari station wagon is nice, too. Would fit right in with my MG station wagon.

Rob_M
New Driver

The Zundapp Janus is the most space efficient vehicle ever built.  A design tour de force let down by the tiny capacity of the engine.  Plans to go to 600cc opposed twin were nixed by the collapse of the German motorcycle market in 1958.  Considering that I currently have a roadworthy Lloyd Alexander TS in my garage, answers your question.

cassman66
Intermediate Driver

I vividly remember the first time I saw a Porsche police pursuit car in the Netherlands, in 1979.  So cool!

Olddavid
Pit Crew

In the 1970's I purchased a cherry BE big that I have to my sister for her college transportation. The kicker was that I was forced to also take the 850 Spider (Spyder?) next to it. For some reason, those headers on that tiny engine made me want to mmm ale a driver out of it. Long story short, I was finally made to understand the moniker *Fix It Again, Tony.

bpar73
Intermediate Driver

The Zundapp 'cause it's a Zundapp!

SittingDuck
Navigator

My Mercedes Benz 03 190 Omnibus 17 passenger. It was featured in one of your Hagerty articles. Display you could bring a bunch of friends with you on your road trip

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/this-res...

SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Look closer, all '50s and '60s kids know it's "Dubble" Bubble, not "Double" Bubble.

SJM1
Pit Crew

Buick Skylark alloy V8 was 215 ci, 3.5 liters, give or take. 

Also available in an Olds with a turbocharger. 

RW68RSConv
Intermediate Driver

I was reading thinking this was a no brainer -Porsche Police car... then I saw the Dormobile and it’s so strikingly weird  ... and I’m sitting at a campsite in my RV right now... I had to step back and think twice.  But while I’m internally trying to decide, what I do know is the last car on earth I want is a Ferrari shooting brake or it’s chromosome missing cousin the FF. I can’t believe they let those cars be seen by the Public. Nothing against shooting brakes, I’d take the Aston DB4 shooting brake in a heartbeat. 

chrlsful
Instructor

any of the odd mini cars, meserschmitd, subie 360, etc, I like all you's named but the fiat due to not enclosed, How bout the Hudson (or whatever it wuz) Traveler? The one that looked sedan yet the lift back made it a sleeper/wagon - sort of. Any of the tiny sports utes - brat, 60s ranchero, dodge rampage/ply scamp or bigger like the Hudson p/u (Big Boy). Some of my favs were the pre-mini vans - the '80s MPV (eagle summit, nissan stanza, mitus MPV, etc; or the honda vanagon, toy. tercel waggy).

Rider79
Instructor

That Goggo looks like its back wheels are already tucking under, getting ready for some serious oversteer...

mowerman
Passenger

i'd either take the burgundy camper or the 911 and paint it like a normal car

okfoz
Detailer

I would pass on all of these, except for the possibility of the Ferrari or Porsche...  Nonetheless none of these are really in my budget, but it is nice to dream...