cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

These 6 varied vehicles are all under $30K

It's not as easy as it used to be to find a worthy car to add to your collection. Facebook listings can be a crapshoot. Craigslist is a shell of its former self. Hagerty's solution is Marketplace, where we strive for accurate listings and provide buyers and sellers with current market values to help them make the right decisions.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-marketplace/these-6-varied-vehicles-are-all-under-30k/
22 REPLIES 22
Tim
Technician

Count me in the "never heard of Commer" before category. I'm impressed with how well this has been kept near original state. In this case, I think I would prefer a restored model where some liberties were taken. This particular specimen is too nice to molest. Imagine swapping out that engine for a modern 4-cylinder for more power and reliability so that you could actually get around more easily. I'd leave the interior retro-designed but ditch the record player for more useful amenities. Add some modern seats up front so that driving time is not a chore and it would be a fun, low-budget camping machine.
Studenorton
Instructor

Why, how can you say that a record player isn't useful? Remember, Trucker Cobb in "Flight of The Phoenix" said they're better than a radio -- more reliable!
sharkguy48
Detailer

I'm confused re the '85 Toyota pickup. The owner puts in lots of money for " a new interior, paint job, lift, bumper, light bar, and of course the KC Daylighter spotlights." If he/she wants to sell a 37 year old truck for $22K, why not spend 30 minutes cleaning up the engine bay?
FloridaMarty
Instructor

I concur, I always look at the aesthetics of a car before passing judgement. If someone doesn't care to keep things tidy and in order what chance is there that they took care of the mechanicals?
TG
Gearhead

Those things are light on squirrels, vacuum leak nightmares and the frames rot horribly. They probably avoided cleaning anything mechanical to keep the rust intact and the vacuum leaks at bay
Oldroad1
Gearhead

Those old 22Rs were full of engine bay cludder, and broken exhaust manifold bolts. They did run along time, people would pile many a K miles but they did have their problems.
buellerdan
Instructor

If I buy the Commer, I'll need to find a hippie chick with green hair.
Studenorton
Instructor

Oh, believe me -- they will find you.

The Ford Falcon Ranchero with the straight six and the Buick Roadmaster with the Fireball 8 are interesting to me.
TG
Gearhead

I almost bought one of those Roadmasters back in my shady tree wrenching days... I knew I had nowhere to put it and would not be able to do it justice, so I left it be

GRP_Photo
Technician

I'll take the Ranchero. I know how to wrench on these.
ronn356
Pit Crew

I'm gonna have to start looking at Marketplace....
Tinkerah
Engineer

I'm gonna have to carefully avoid it. These all strike me as reasonably attractive values.
MustangJim
Technician

Never heard of a commer. But it's cool, different.
My favorites here are the falcon ranchero and I like the 200ci 6 with three on the tree. The only thing I'd change is I would repaint that red center section white also,but that's just personal taste. I really like the car.
I like the 240z also but the paint so to busy for me. To cool a car to pass on though.
Studenorton
Instructor

The Falcon Rancheros are "cute as lace pants," but not really up to any real trucking. Don't try to put a compacted Lincoln in the back, like in that movie. When you think about how much a lot of pickups get used now, Ford was way ahead of their time with this rating. It's not fair to call the 200 Six "same family" as the 170, as it's a fundamentally better motor, with seven main bearings. With more carburetion, it would move a Mustang in a sprightly way. The 170 did not hop up well. At all. Ford had an even smaller and frailer six in that period (144?), and we used to pity the utility crews who got trucks issued to them with that setup.
RootesRooter
Pit Crew

The Commer would have a basic Sunbeam/Hillman 1725cc engine and transmission, so parts wouldn't be that difficult to find. Swapping in an aluminum head from an Alpine, plus a Weber carb, would boost horsepower by at least 20, making it reasonably drivable. It's finding suspension or steering parts that would make me think twice.
Snailish
Engineer

Art Morrison is up to the challenge.

Zephyr
Technician

In 1965 I bought a very basic 62 Falcon work truck for $500. It was sold originally with no radio or heater, but it had one wonderful feature that I've never seen on any other Ranchero - the bench seat upholstery was a sort of faux leather tan, imprinted all over with the 2 inch high head of a long-horn steer. I wish I still had the truck, but I wish even more that I had a couch covered with that material.
SJ
Technician

"Besides being a beautifully clean example"
Check out that engine on the Toy, wonder the mileage, 22k lol!
janedon
Advanced Driver

For sure I'd choose between the Buick & the ranchero--- there are lots of under 10,000 dollar cars to be had--Most of us "Start" with less desirable "Colector" cars & work our way up-
PurelyPMD
Detailer

Pound for pound the BMW has them all beat. It has two too many doors to be sporty but the paint makes up for it. The 530i gets my vote.
Rider79
Technician

That van is pretty cool. Just don't mess up any wiring adds/changes: it is "positive earth".