cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These 6 gorgeous classics could set auction records this weekend

You may not have heard of Hubert Fabri, but you can bet the Belgian car collector is smiling to himself. Next month, 15 of his rare Aston Martins, Bentleys, Bugattis, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Lancias will go under the hammer at Gooding & Company's Passion of a Lifetime event in the U.K. Industry observers expect records to be broken.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/6-gorgeous-classics-auction-records-gooding-passion/

Replies (13)

Replies (13)

Other than the DB4, I couldn't see driving any of these cars.  With that one exception, they should be in museums.  That said, I'm not sure the public really has much interest in these cars anyway.   They are just very expensive paperweights to improve the bragging rights of billionaires who have more money than taste.    

New Driver

I would be thrilled to drive - let alone own - any of these! They were expensive works of art built by visionary craftsmen for those wealthy few who could afford special cars of outstanding quality. Kept, maintained, and restored down through the years to be enjoyed by those that can afford them and appreciated by the rest of us.

And why denigrate those who worked hard and become wealthy??

The "public" these days seems mostly interested in their smartphones.

More's the pity...... 

Intermediate Driver

“What is so wrong about colonialism and making money? If it wasn't for colonialism more than half of the world would be stuck in time as they were 200 to 300 years ago.”

Thank You !

Pit Crew

Saying this sort of comment is the same as criticizing a stamp collector because they don't use them to mail letters, or a collector of English china because they don't use it to drink their morning coffee. 

Pit Crew

Fabri made his fortune in rubber and palm oil plantations. Why how colonial of him. Doesn't sound like a guy worthy of any praise. 

Intermediate Driver

If you Google Hubert Fabri you will find that he has interests in something like 200 companies, the main one being Socfin, a company that was established long after slavery was abolished. The main complaints that people have about the company is that they are using strong arm tactics to force small farmers off their land, and they use an extraordinary amount of SLAP lawsuits to silence any criticism of the company, even from valid news sources. I think there may be more to this auction than meets the eye, given some of the legal actions the company is facing. Fabri may have recognized that the cars are a seizable asset, but if he sells them he can hide all the cash in offshore accounts. 

Detailer

I do understand TRAGAR's comment, although I would add the two Bugattis to the list to own and drive. The rest are curiosities. The brass era cars are tough to relate to today, although I appreciate that they are preserved.

New Driver

Following up on Gib49's comment on color:  I have zero expertise on the subject, but based on what I've seen, the color on the Lancia seems authentic, and the Vauxhall (my favorite in this collection) seems believable, but that Rolls: Ye gads!  Surely that ugly color can't be an authentic 1919 color.  Can it?  And if not, why would someone put it on such a beautiful and valuable car?  I'm a bit mystified by it...

New Driver

Merlebalke seems a little too woke.  The article did not praise or criticize Fabri.  His own prejudices have colored his opinion.

Pit Crew

Q

Navigator

Re: Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost Alpine Tourer:  What an UGLY colour!  Looks like something one would find on a Dodge Challenger or Plymouth Roadrunner. Not a top of the line luxury car.

New Driver

I would prefer the Rolls Royce myself.

Pit Crew

because Colonialism means SLAVERY;

Pit Crew