cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These 5 home-brewed machines tackled the 2020 Pikes Peak International Hillclimb

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb has wrapped up a week of racing, and this year’s event was held under a unique atmosphere in light of the COVID pandemic. Scheduling changes pushed the event to its backup date in late-August and restricted the event to competitors only. With much of the field missing and no crowds, the race had a more humble feel, which was reflected in the highlight stories from the event, including the overall-win by Colorado’s own Clint Vahsholtz.

Without the big-budget prototypes on hand that usually command the most attention, this year was filled with traditional Pikes Peak specials (custom-built cars that have been developed over long periods of time solely for Pikes Peak, many with roots in the all-dirt days) and several self-built time-attack vehicles both old and new. To get an idea of what it was like on the ground, here are five home-brewed special race cars that reflect the spectrum of what takes on this famous 152-turn, 14,115-foot torture test.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-year-of-homebrew-5-unique-pikes-peak-international-hillclimb-...

Replies (3)

Replies (3)

Can someone proofread this, please? 

"The result for the freakshow time-attack truck was a mighty 11:25.065, besting Mercedes-Benz’s efforts from 2015 with the C250D 4Matic’s 11:22."

Either the 11:25 or the 11:22 is incorrect, damned if I know which.

New Driver

I haven't been up there in 30+ years and haven't paid a lot of attention to the race in 20 years so didn't know the road had been paved. Sure makes it nicer drive for Joe Sixpack in the the family Truckster but I'm sure it also took something out of the race for the purist. Funny thing though, the dirt road to the top of Pikes Peak was smoother and wider than the paved on to Mt. Evans. But I haven't been there in 30+ years either so don't know if it has been improved.

Intermediate Driver

Isnt this the second time Randy crashes at Pikes Peak?

Pit Crew