cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

These 5 funky French classics are all up for grabs this month | Hagerty Media

While most of the Rétromobile festivities in Paris were postponed this year, the three major auctions (Artcurial, RM Sotheby's, and Bonhams) went ahead in modified form, spread out over the months of February and March. The last of them, Bonhams, wraps up on March 10 and, as usual, there is an enticing mix of sports cars, oddballs, race cars, and prewar greats to ogle.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/these-5-funky-french-classics-are-all-up-for-grabs-this-month...
24 REPLIES 24
wilcom
Pit Crew

With all the beautiful French designs.......and then there is Citroen. It's always boggled my mind.
TonyT
Instructor

The designers and the builders ate snails, what would you expect? "Ooo, zee escargot iz zo pretty! Let us make ze auto in its honair!" Sorry. I am ashamed of myself...
Tony
Pit Crew

Best Laugh of the week ! Thank You ! !
MATTMERICA
Instructor

Lol
I was waiting for Inspector Clouseau (Sellars, not the other one) to appear
PGA2
Pit Crew

I must agree. Even the Deux Chevaux looks better parked next to the 1365 Chapron.

Phil in TX
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

I thought the Citroen was quite striking! That bright blue one is amazing.
llawrence9
Intermediate Driver

These cars at these prices are like buying artwork. And good for you if you have the means to go rally with them.
Meanwhile crank up the eight track and listen to Sir Mixalot's "My Hoopty" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPr4UyiZGE
LamboEd
Intermediate Driver

Parlez vous Francais? Oui oui! Especially the 38 Peugeot, the Alpine, and the Citroen convertible, BUT not at those prices!
Bmike
Detailer

If there was ever a French Playskool toy manufacturer, that Peugeot Sport would have been their idea of a sports car. Don't ya just want to pick it up and roll it back and forth on the floor making le vroom, le vroom sounds?
Flashman
Instructor

"...self hydro-pneumatic suspension"? Maybe you mean self-leveling hydro-pneumatic...
Sajeev
Community Manager

We totally meant that. Fixing it now! 

MrKnowItAll
Detailer

“Funky” is probably not the best word, if you know slang lexicon; “Iconically strange French designs” is longer, perhaps better... but may be a redundancy.😉
Punk
Detailer

Let me say that I am a HUGE fan of the lovely art deco french designs of the '30s and '40s, but would be afraid to drive one much less own one, as they are so valuable and fragile. Then there's these over-priced oddities. All Dee Ess look like a 1950s spaceship from a serial, and that's not a compliment. Then there's the '38 Peugot that looks like an XK-120 after way too much pot. Ahhh France...
02-orignal-ownr
Detailer

"Then there's the '38 Peugeot that looks like an XK-120 after way too much pot."

Actually it's the other way 'round...The Peugeot was penned nearly 15 years before the XK120 saw the light of day...and the XK took its inspiration from several pre-war French cars...
Maestro1
Instructor

The Chapron Citroen always blows me away. It's very French, and very stunning. Thank you for this.
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

I swear I saw that Salmson in an episode of Peirot.
mwmyers91
Detailer

I do not speak French but that is not why I am speechless.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

That Alpine got my attention. The rest, not so much.
TG
Instructor

French car are just two words that I am not accustomed to putting together - of course we are getting dangerously close to American car not going together, so I should hold my tongue
gerald102413
Detailer

I always liked the 60's Citroen sedan auto. Every time I see a French film with Alain Delon, that was his favorite getaway car Versus the police authorities...lol

farna
Advanced Driver

I didn't see anything "clunky" -- except for the 2CV. Citroen might even accept the use of "clunky" as a descriptive adverb, but they'd be proud of it! It was designed strictly as a tool, not intended to be "pretty", just cheap and useful.
farna
Advanced Driver

sorry, "clunky" was intended to be "funky"....
sclin10
Detailer

I like 'clunky' better. 😉
Kewina50
Intermediate Driver

Hoh, Hoh, Hoh, zeez cars are so very Frahnch! Unmeestakible! Zee '76 Alpeen is pretty coo-el!
Le Frahnch mystique is quite unique. Vive la France!