cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

There is no shame in calling in the experts | Hagerty Media

The whole schtick of my racing effort this year has convinced me that I will not truly be competitive in any of the six two-wheeled disciplines that I plan to tackle. Even so, I'm determined to bring the best-prepared combination of rider and machine to each starting line.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/there-is-no-shame-in-calling-in-the-experts/
11 REPLIES 11
DougL
Intermediate Driver

Wow, that head is nasty! I'm surprised that they can fix it. I bet that is a pricey repair.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

They can be heliarc-filled and re-machined. I was in on saving a Commando head that way, back in the 70's ("My buddy rode my bike home from Texas. He thinks it needs a tune-up"). It takes a *very* good welder -- we thought Dave Kolb was just short of an alchemist.
Kyle

You'd be surprised! Stay tuned later this month when I get the parts back I will be writing more about the process and will not hide the price!
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

I look forward to further updates on your XR campaign.
dreamingeagle
Detailer

this stuff is addictive, to be sure, but mind the old axiom... the way to build a small fortune is to go racing with a big one;
Kyle

There was a tiny part of me that really wanted to be able to write at the end of this project that "see, there is such a thing as affordable racing" but that would be wholly ignorant to write--even at this point, and I haven't even hit the track yet!
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

Good for you Kyle. As DougL said "That head IS nasty!" Hope you continue on & give us all the skinny, step by step. By the way, when you say "I will only have a few weeks between receiving my parts & the 1st event in May", not to crush your enthusiasm, but don't let yourself get down if that doesn't happen. Build enough projects & you soon learn that the 1 thing that can (or ALWAYS does) screw up is the stuff you have to sub out. Good luck Man!
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

By the way, the seat looks great!
Kyle

I'll let you in on a secret. One of the delivery trucks dropped off a surprise box earlier this week. I figured Millennium Tech would be shipping all of my engine pieces back together, but the crankshaft is already on the workbench now. This means I can take my time with the bottom end assembly (what I am most nervous about) and all I will be waiting on is the relatively easy cylinder and head.
61Rampy
Advanced Driver

Keep that welding/machine shop in mind when the valve seats drop out of your 140 Corvair. (They will at some point) (Unless you have already had that done...)
Kyle

The heads on my 140 were done about 5 years ago, and I have a spare set of heads on the shelf that I intend to send out and have the seats and valves done just to have a set ready for a future engine build or if this engine ends up needing them again sooner than later. Good 140 heads are hard enough to find that I keep any I can!