cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

There could be a Rush for Neil Peart's cars at Pebble Beach | Hagerty Media

Neil Peart passed away last year, and he will always be remembered as the man behind the drums and the lyrics of Canadian rock trio Rush. Known for the diverse themes of his lyrics and the technical proficiency of his drumming, Peart was often called "The Professor," and he wrote seven books (mostly memoirs about his travels).
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/rush-for-neil-pearts-cars-at-pebble-beach/
37 REPLIES 37
hyperv6
Gearhead

Neil loved cars but also motorcycles. I can recall him coming to Ohio on tour and bringing a bike with him and riding around the Akron Ohio area.
audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

He usually rode BMW motorcycles, (read his book "Ghost Rider;) but he also loved bicycles.
JSievers
Detailer

What an expertly curated collection of cars! If I could I would buy the entire collection.
427sc
Intermediate Driver

You took the words right out of my mouth...
All of them, just beautiful!
Uniquely faceted masters of their art, just like their owner was..
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

Neal was apparently not the most imaginative person when it came to color but otherwise a very nice collection of beautiful cars. When my daily driver was silver like my Supra is I thought that was one too many silver cars for me. Too bad he didn't have a red barchetta in his collection, it would have been fitting. I miss his drumming and his lyrical output. A great man and he is missed. I'm glad I saw Rush for the last time at R40 in Houston.
audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

Neil always had impeccable taste, and this collection shows it.

Being a drummer myself, in much the same genre and style as his, (though not quite at his level;) I really miss his originality, inventiveness and sheer power and skill. I saw Rush in the early ’80’s — the Signals Tour. Fantastic show.

I’m not surprised that the DB5 would be his first love and first acquisition… I’m a year younger than him, and also lusted after that Aston Martin since it first appeared in 1964’s “Goldfinger”, (where a certain Ford model made its screen debut too.)

I understand that a car’s provenance can greatly influence its desirability and price, but I feel that somehow Mr. Peart would not want that. He was a very modest and private person. I’ll always miss him.
DUB6
Technician

I'm not a drummer, but I was a bassist in high school, so my connection to stick-and-skin-players is close.  Mr. Peart is certainly to be included on the list of all-time rock greats.  I'm actually more impressed with his collection of cars than I thought I would be.  Almost every one of them is something that I could love and cherish - and most are something I have lusted after for decades.  And the fact that he chose some rather reserved examples, instead of going all out on horsepower or options (which I'm sure he could afford) - shows me that he was indeed a quiet, contained, practical and contemplative man, not ostentatious at all.  You can cruise a coast highway in a 289 Cobra every bit as enjoyably as in a 427 monster.

Whoever lands any of these vehicles will surely be putting solid additions to their collections.

Wedgehead
Pit Crew

Personally I'd buy a similar car from someone that didn't have the name Neil Peart,and save a ton of money.
427sc
Intermediate Driver

Are these really that over-priced, just because they are Neil's cars?
The Hagerty Condition Values are either right in the range of the expected sale prices or even lower than what is expected in some cases.
The guy was a musical genius, and he obviously had pretty amazing taste in cars..
If it benefits his family, I hope they sell for a TON of $$$ over market.
Punk
Detailer

My thoughts exactly. One of the first things I noticed about these beauties is that the expected prices seem to lack a celebrity tax. I suspect the estimates are conservative...
Tinkerah
Technician

Those auctions are worlds away from my life so I don't follow them but I wonder if the houses lowball the expected sale prices to help initiate interest?
Maestro1
Instructor

Great taste, lovely cars, thank you.
dooscoop32
Intermediate Driver

I'm a Corvette guy and have been an owner since 1971 and I know what a big deal it is for a Corvette to have a color change from its original hue. So, it shocks me to read of the change of the color of the 289 Cobra as if it were just a side note and no big deal. Is a color change of no consequence on a Cobra? And speaking of that, how much does it affect any other brands like it does Corvettes?
427sc
Intermediate Driver

"Real" Shelby Cobras, big block or small block, are so rare, I'm not so sure that the off-color matters much as it would on something else which is mass produced. So long as it is professional/good paint work, it's just a minor/low dollar negative for the Cobra I think.
Heck, any "modern" high quality paint job is likely 10X better than the original was anyway...
dbucknh
Pit Crew

I bet that Neil is glad that he didn't have a red "little boat" in his collection.
LesFender
Pit Crew

What I want to know - when are his drum kits going up for auction? Those, I'd be more interested in!
Tsaxman
Detailer

Well, I am a drummer and a car collector, but not nearly as successful as Neil Peart. Thank goodness I am good at other things. On the PCH, drive the drop top cars south of Santa Barbara and the coupes north.

Also, I never liked Rush because, although they were great musically, and Neil Peart’s lyrics were good, Geddy Lee’s vocals sounded like an excited castrato. The band's fans were overwhelmingly 15-year-old males. That said, what a great collection. Peart had fabulous taste.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Nice collection ALL Look great. Thanks Hagerty for the article
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

That's the single best 7 1960's sports car collection I've ever seen. What a dream.
JonMiller
Intermediate Driver

What level of celebrity must be achieved before a price premium adheres itself to anything being auctioned?
DUB6
Technician

Well I think most of those cars would fetch good prices at auction if they belonged to Joe Smith or Jane Doe (apologies to Joe or Jane if they are reading this) - simply because they are good examples of desirable vehicles.  Will someone who buys one want to be able to brag, "Hey, this used to belong to the drummer from Rush"?  Probably.  But I wonder if that will really push anyone to bid higher to win.  I personally would only bid what the car itself is worth to me, given the condition, rarity, specs, etc.  But having said that, I couldn't afford to bid on so much as a hubcap on any of them, so what do I know?  😁

corv3tte
Pit Crew

All gorgeous....LOVE the 2+2 Jag.
SJ
Advanced Driver

Its not a 2+2, didn't come out until 1966, I thought it (2+2)was kinda ugly compared to the regular coupe.
DUB6
Technician

Me too - kinda bloated looking or something.  The coupe and the roadster were the beauts.

corv3tte
Pit Crew

See above ! 🙂
corv3tte
Pit Crew

You're right ! All of that silver blinded me ! I'm not really up on the Jag's debut dates, I just like 'em. As far as looks, I agree, it's rather bulbous. I always loved the little, useless back seats in the 2+2. I guess I would actually choose the coupe over the 2+2 and the vert....I'm not big on verts...I burn too easy !
Sureflyt
New Driver

Any one of these beauties would be fine to drive down the beach as long as Neil is rocking out on the radio....
427sc
Intermediate Driver

It almost seems a shame to break up this awesome collection!
I mean come on, all of these beautiful/awesome 60's vehicles, all (for the most part) in the same color!
Somebody with an extra $5 Million in their pocket needs to step up and say "I'll adopt them ALL"!
Just to keep the kids together...
😉

Jay (Leno)???
Anyone? Bueller...? Bueller...?
😉
Tinkerah
Technician

It does seem a touch disappointing to break up such a set.
SJ
Advanced Driver

One of the best "smaller collections".
Jim1969
Intermediate Driver

Never heard the name Neil Peary. Doesn’t matter. The man owned some extremely nice automobiles and played in a popular band. The Corvette is my favorite, along with the Allman Brothers Band!
ValterPrieto
Pit Crew

Such glorious taste on cars, better yet on music. A great musician, lots of intelligence on the lyrics, and a incredible list of cars at home. The world is really poorer without Neil Elwood Peart.
TG
Instructor

If i wasn't a working man...
70-Z28-RS-LT-1
Pit Crew

Thanks for this write up. Been a fan for over 45 years, yet I never knew Neil had this many cars.
Rob1
Instructor

Being originally from southern Ontario i have many many times attended Rush concerts and back when Rush went from high school auditoriums to bars I had the pleasure of seeing them locally many times with the original drummer but Neil took drumming to a stratospheric level greatest respect for all members of Rush they made a three man band sound incredible now the cars wow a lottery win and i would snap up any of these cars Neil a incredible talent he is missed as well as Geddy and Alex I hate how time marches on.Cheers RIP Neil 

MATTMERICA
Instructor

With or without the provenance, I would gladly pay a premium for all but the Maser - that is the weak sister in the group IMHO. I had an awesome Moving Pictures tour tee shirt - the black one, with the movers toting the masterpieces on it - one of the ex wives scooped that up when I wasn't watching. RIP N. Peart
Flashman
Instructor

Fire your headline writer and hire a copy editor.