cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The wild journey of Porsche 917-022 from Steve McQueen to Jerry Seinfeld

Jerry Seinfeld and Porsche go together like golf and marine biology. The host of the popular show Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee has an incredible collection of Porsches, some with more… interesting histories than others. One such car in his stable is the Porsche 917K that was prominently featured in Steve McQueen’s 1971 racing flick Le Mans.

On a recent episode of Spike Feresten’s podcast, Spike’s Car Radio, Jerry and his car consigliere Sam Cabiglio recounted how the film-famous ride came to reside in Seinfeld’s collection. The story, as it turns out, was a lot more intricate than we expected.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/porsche-917-022-from-steve-mcqueen-to-jerry-seinfeld/

4 REPLIES 4
Racer_Paddy
Passenger

I have a picture of this car competing at Phoenix Park motor races in Dublin in October 1982 driven by Richard Attwood and competing against Sir Stirling Moss in a Chevron B8.  (Stirling won!)

PBinLostAngeles
New Driver

According to Autoweek, Gooding & Co. auctioned 022 for $14 million dollars in 2017 - Why no mention of the that transaction?
PBinLostAngeles
New Driver

"The highest price ever paid for a Porsche"
baakhu1
New Driver

So a wheel fell off....I can top that, though not as nostalgic a racecar. I had put about $70K into building my dream truck -- a cool '69 Chevy pickup which took care of the drivetrain around 500hp / 383 stroker. To make a long story short -- the Holley carb stuck open and I ran into a brick pillar a block from my house. The truck was totaled, but the insurance company refused to total it. I lost big time...both in my heart and my wallet. I walked away from the truck at the body shop.