cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

The SS Dolphin is the hybrid “Corvette” you never knew you wanted

Americana is alive and well in China: Be it my buddy getting paid ¥100 an hour in his ex-pat days to teach the son of a government official’s mistress how to speak English with an American accent (meeting at the local Starbucks, ‘natch) or Songsan Motors’ latest creation. The latter is, ahem, heavily influenced by Chevrolet’s first-generation flagship sports car. Your eyes do not deceive you—the SS Dolphin is indeed Songsan’s turbocharged, plug-in-hybrid-powered take on the 1958 Corvette.

Maybe we aren’t so very different after all?

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-ss-dolphin-is-the-hybrid-corvette-you-never-knew-you-wanted/

106 REPLIES 106
Historian
Detailer

Seriously ugly!

renchero63
Pit Crew

The offense is war worthy!

Aquadave
Pit Crew

It's better than some of the North American recreations. the T-bird comes to mind.

wilcom
Pit Crew

I want the real deal or nothing at all. I view it as an automotive blow up doll
F360Spider
Intermediate Driver

Looks like a major theft of intellectual property. This is a crime against automotive history and should be food for the crusher only.

Saanich2006
New Driver

Looks like it is balloon and someone over filled it with air.  Nose and rear end are both just wrong.  It's is just wrong on so many levels.

FastEddie
Navigator

About as useful as the virus they sent us.

Climax
New Driver

Oh, the virus they made and sent to us was a test to see what they can get away with.  Then next virus, #3, will be deadlier and quicker.  The don't have to attack us, that would destroy all that we built.  All they need do is kill us all, wait 6 months and come on over in ship loads to scrape our remains up, pile it all up in the ovens, and burn us up.  They have our land, property, cars, cities, farm land, water, resources, and every thing else all in one neat little package.  Think Adromina Strain.

r_is_t
Passenger

Ugh!

merlebalke
Intermediate Driver

The profile is certainly unfortunate. 

TB
Pit Crew

So, when each and every classic collectable has been 'Restomodded' with modern drivetrain and/or electric; will they keep one or two in a museum to show what they actually were?  Specifically are there any more original 63 Vette Split Windows that havent been bastardized?   

Piper
Intermediate Driver

I think the funhouse mirror analogy is spot on.

cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

The Chinese have NO respect for intellectual property, as this POS knock-off illustrates. It's theft and cheating. But who enables it? Do you look to see where a new tool, appliance or device was made before purchasing it? Do you actually look for a made-in USA alternative? Do you default to the cheaper price, even if it's Chinese crap?

SOMEbody is buying all those Harbor Freight tools.

AZDon
Pit Crew

You are absolutely right, we are hurting ourselves by buying Chinese products.
audiobycarmine
Intermediate Driver

I am actually one of those who look to see "where it's made" before buying. Not that I'm a rabid buy-American type, but most, if not all, Chinese product really is junk (pun intended.) A lot of it is downright dangerous too, considering the many poisoned babies and dogs, and phony pharmaceuticals.
mchalewj
Pit Crew

Not too bad!  What if they based it on the 1983 Corvette?  Or, worse yet, the 1980 "California 305" model?

spoom
Technician

Never forget where your money is going, or why. 

Lightning1
Intermediate Driver

Keep it there like the Wuhan Virus should have been!

Joee383
Pit Crew

Front and back views look ok. Side view looks a little wonky.

Looks like China is ripping us off but on the other hand there are plenty of Cobra replicas that seem to be legal.

drenam
New Driver

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. At least they didnt copy a Yugo of LeCar

teshephe
Navigator

Another COMPLETE RIP OFF of American originality and ingenuity.  COMPLETE FODDER!

teshephe
Navigator

A COMPLETE RIP OFF of true American ingenuity, originality, and muscle. COMPLETE FODDER!! Give me the real Corvette!!
PorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

Never liked the '58-'62 'vette ANYWAYS, why would I think this abomination is any different. Now, if they did a '56-7... 🙂

JonMiller
Intermediate Driver

This imitation is not flattery, it is theft and mockery. 

Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

No thank you...on every level, looks, technology, hybrid (especially hybrid).  Seriously ugly doesn't begin to describe this thing. What if Dr. Frankenstein had created a Mickey Rooney clone?

EZeke
Passenger

Just another knock off............  no future for real car people.

Fritz52
Navigator

Umm, extreme no thanks!

CP66
Intermediate Driver

1st big problem; "Made In China".  That eliminates any interest.

roundhousedog1
New Driver

It isn't just the off dimensions in the presentation, but the content in details lacking taste.
Bird52
Pit Crew

Sacrilege is all I can say

MattK
Intermediate Driver

Oliver Hardy Voice: I have.. nothing to say.

VetteKid56
New Driver

Why don't the chinese just buy the rest of GM then they can make the real thing with genuine GM licenced stickers on it and get the proportions right.

JimE
Passenger

Took a beautiful design and made it butt ugly.

Budster
New Driver

Think the outside looks like **bleep**, check out the "interior photography"! What the hell is "American Bobber" on the console?  And better yet, the red angel hair carpeting from the 60s. And counterfeiting the GM SS logo.  Looks like what it is, Chinese Piece of **bleep**.

109settle
Passenger

This really really sucks!!!

ROLLINGGEORGE
Navigator

Side front end leaves much to be desired

elldorado2000
Intermediate Driver

Not to beat up the author of this story, but China is notorious for stealing others designs without any regard for proper licensing.  I can't help but wonder how GM feels about this.  Throw in China's current political reputation in the world, this was probably an article for another time.  

Kim826
New Driver

I can't wait until the NCRS Judging Manual comes out.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I think you just won The Internet with that statement. 

BritTwit
Passenger

I had the same reaction as the first time I saw a Bugatti kit car with a VW engine hanging out the back end.

46HudsonPU
Pit Crew

Well, the '58 would not have been MY first choice (and probably not my second either).  Also, in spending all that time and money, one would think they could have gotten it 'right' - not so...  Side profile & stance is ALL WRONG, and that's just for starters.  Maybe if they brought it to me, fed me & paid me well, I might drive it for them (into a brick wall, just to test the airbags)...  Nuff said -

LongDukDong
Passenger

这个车比美国的丑多了。太可惜了,咱们不能制造八缸的发动机 合后轮驱动!

4wdave
New Driver

Which end is the front?

Rocketjudge
Pit Crew

Man, smelling like hydrocarbons upon arrival is what it's about. The smell of a gas powered 50's-60's is what triggers memories beyond anything else really - good ones at that

Pres50
Passenger

to paraphrase the famous quote " I knew Jack Kennedy" I knew a 58 Vette and you are not a 58 Vette.

red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

I hope you wrote this article as a warning to American consumers.

This thing looks like a golf cart with a 58 Vette body kit.

The day I am at a cruise-in and some greenie shows up in one of these, I'm leaving.

DC
Intermediate Driver

Does it come w/covid standard ?

BigBear
Pit Crew

Really..???   Good grief.... I dont want to drive a hybrid anything... I'll keep my REAL AMERICAN made Corvette.

We should thank them, by giving the Covid 19 back to them..

another good invention from China, where bicycles

is their main mode of transportation.

Dude-06
Passenger

Where can I buy one?