cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The seldom-seen 1971 Plymouth Cricket was an epic failure | Hagerty Media

Like going a movie and realizing the previews are actually better than the film, we had a great time perusing what barnfinds.com readers had to say about a 1971 Plymouth Cricket for sale on Craigslist. The Aztec Gold Metallic-painted Cricket, located in North Carolina, is claimed to have traversed just 22,322 miles since new.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/the-1971-plymouth-cricket-was-an-epic-failure/
5 REPLIES 5
JackBurnside
New Driver

Bought one in pea soup green that was a year old for $750. It was school transportation. I once drifted it and all four tires partially came off the rim leaving me with 4 flats.

It was definitely a let down from the Austin Healy 3000 that proceeded it. I kept it about 6 months and traded it with some cash for a 71 Karmann Ghia convertible.
JackBurnside
New Driver

preceded
MortTishion
New Driver

My brother’s girlfriend had a Cricket in a nauseating version of green. The rear doors only opened part way and it was impossible to actually open them enough to get in through the back door. Seeing this, I questioned my brother’s judgment for picking a girlfriend. They weren’t together long after that…
cricket
New Driver

The first car I owned-Green w/yellow wheels, like a John Deere tractor...except that THEY are reliable! 30 years later I still carry a full tool kit in my car. BUT-everything I know about cars I owe to this one & the sympathy of a kind mechanic who taught me how to do repairs & became a good friend. He gave me cursing lessons & taught me how to stand up to auto dealers when I was a naive young woman! The car's top speed was 62 mph going down a steep highway with a tailwind! It should have come with a net to catch the parts that fell off, but it WAS a learning experience!
RumCove
New Driver

Well, having just purchased a 1969 Sunbeam Alpine Coupe, I am now in the market for a 1971/2 Plymouth Cricket. Any leads: soulfulcville@gmail.com

Thanks, Chrysler Rootes fans!