cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The rarest Hot Wheels is worth more than its full-scale counterpart

When Mattel launched the Hot Wheels brand in 1968 it probably had no idea the toys would make such a huge impact on automotive fans across the globe. The initial models, known collectively as the "Sweet 16," are among the most coveted by collectors, but it's the rare prototypes, those never meant to leave Mattel's HQ, that demand the highest prices.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-rarest-hot-wheels-is-worth-more-than-its-full-scale-counterpa...

5 REPLIES 5
ST
Passenger

My understanding was that the bus was too narrow for the track and spinning foam wheels on the power boosters.  They added the boards to the sides to widen the bus to fit.

Jaguarman
Pit Crew

That is correct.  When the prototypes were tested on the track, they couldn't make it through the curves, and were too narrow for the Superchargers (foam boosters).  They redesigned them by adding side pods to hold the boards, widen the base, and lower the center of gravity.  Since the original design never went into production, there are only the original prototypes (30-something) left which were quickly scarfed up by the employees at Mattel.

40Ford
Detailer

I have a big box full of them in the closet, I better dig it out and take a look at what I have. 

Fingers crossed! 

Jaguarman
Pit Crew

If they are original redlines (from 1968-1973) I'm interested... let me know.

fisch16
Passenger

I have a Green production version, with the boards in the side.......ahhhh disappointment