cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The people driving up prices of "youngtimer" cars probably aren't all that young | Hagerty Media

Collector cars from the 1980s, '90s, and early 2000s-variably coined Youngtimers, Radwood-cars, or just modern performance cars-have comprised the hottest sector of the classic car market for some time. They have dominated our annual Bull Market list of up-and-coming cars since it launched in 2018, and tend to come up whenever we're discussing the latest auction records.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/the-people-driving-up-prices-of-youngtim...
1 REPLY 1
SteveNL
Intermediate Driver

I read about young people bidding up the price of '80's & '90's cars at the auctions, but don't see many young people at car events or driving their cool cars. I own two German cars from the 1980's, an American car from the early 1990's and a Miata from the early 21st Century. All youngtimer cars and I'm in my late sixties.

I spent decades restoring and driving '60's cars and simply grew tired of them. They're easy to work on, but break a lot more often than newer cars. An E30 BMW is more fun to drive than any '60's car that I can think of. They are a little more difficult to repair, however, but worth the effort. As an older person, I can also afford expensive German repair parts. So, yes. Old men are also getting into youngtimer cars.