cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The original Mercedes 300SL should have been a failure | Revelations with Jason Cammisa | Ep. 18

The Mercedes W194 300SL racing car was a recipe for failure, using heavy components from the S-Class luxury car. And yet, in the summer of 1952, it took to the podium in the Mille Miglia, Bern Grand Prix, Le Mans, the Nürburgring, and then, that fall, the Carrera Panamericana, humiliating Porsches and Ferraris and everything else.The 300SL became a legend in just a few months.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/the-original-mercedes-300sl-should-have-been-a-failure-revelati...
4 REPLIES 4
TomE
Intermediate Driver

Lucas Valley Road.
twb930s
New Driver

Excellent!

idlehands
New Driver

Really good content, as usual. One small critique that is hopefully taken as constructive feedback:

While I enjoy the edginess, using the word ghetto (“ghetto-rigged”) is never in good taste, but especially when discussing Germany right after WW2. There is a strong correlation of that world to the Holocaust and the German (specifically Nazi) treatment of the Jews.

I’m sure this wasn’t an intentional, and, as I said, hopefully this is taken as constructive.

In the future, when reaching for a term with a similar meaning, but less charged connotations, I’d suggest jury-rigged.

Cheers.
hyperv6
Racer

How good the parts bin car is depends on the what kind of parts are in the bin. 

Not exactly a bad thing to build a car on Benz bones at least back then. 

Just a note on the 300 here. My fathers friend won one on some kind of contest. Many people though the car as odd due to the doors.  He soon sold the car due to the fact he has a single garage and could not open the doors in the garage due to clearances. 

He sold it and bought a Corvette.