cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

The new crate motor by EV West and Revolt fits just like a small-block Chevy

One of the biggest hurdles to EV swaps has been for builders to construct a driveline that can withstand the capable torque of an electric motor, along with the big question of how to mount it in between the frame rails. The solution for a while has been to make custom motor plates under the hood from which that the motor can hang. Then, building a drive adapter to match a motor's output shaft with a driveshaft yoke usually involves spinning off custom-machined parts, which is both expensive and raises the barrier of entry.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-new-crate-motor-by-ev-west-and-revolt-fits-just-like-a-small-...

120 REPLIES 120
John
Intermediate Driver

OK, the price is stupid.  But the idea is really good and it is eventually going to be more common.  The price needs to be in the $7000 range to bring in the average Hot Rodder though.  Plus you will need another $7000 in other stuff to make it work.  But that is not really that far off the average well built street car.  As an example; I have a 1995 Firebird Formula.  I built a 383 stroker for it where the only stock part was the block.  Horsepower, about 425 to 450. price in parts and machine work $6500.  Now before a bunch of guys say they could do better for less let me say these are all top quality name brand parts and will stand up to almost any abuse I dish out.  I would rather spend a little more and have it last.  Then the upgraded 4L60E for another$1800 and the Moser 12 bolt rear end for $2600 ( I bought it used with 7000 miles on it, new it is $3500 ).  Add some suspension and tires and your right at that $14000 mark.  But $25 to 35 K.  Not to many takers at that price.  I can not believe they have anywhere near that in materials.  Would I do this at a more reasonable price?  In a heartbeat!!

chrlsful
Instructor

"...would you swap..."

sure, depends on condition of the current and application.

Every automotive Q is answered by the 'application" Q.  What is the final use, purpose, 80% of intended final application? Any build requires that pursuit and conclusion.  The budget and plan are molded around that.  Research must B diligent. At completion (phase I) the wrk continues (phase II) but should not change throughout the build. If it duz it proved the research was poor, the builder fickle or if extended build - a change in technology (new break-thus).  Seen too many 'hack jobs' when not following the foregoing~

BJ
Passenger

I am alarmed you would even put this out for comment. The classic and hot rod cars are under enough assault from the crazy people in California without adding this insult. If there was ever a case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should" this is it.

woodyambison
Pit Crew

500 horsepower, cool.  800 foot pounds of torque way cool, no rumble no bark NOT cool. I guess I was unaware that by me driving my ICE car's and bike's I was harming the planet. NO EV for me.

AL_M
Passenger

In concept this is great price aside, but hot rodding is about the complete experience, the sounds, the smell, the vibrations, the sensory experience. If someone told you that you could have the most nutritionally balanced meal ever created but it was tasteless and odorless would you want to eat it?  Bring me a plate of lasagna and a 454 thank you!

Zephyr
Instructor

Not much to look at when you open the hood. And has anyone considered what the health effects might be of long term exposure to the battery fumes, or the electromagnetic field generated by the motor?

CraigCS
New Driver

At least it won't be lonely back at the starting line.

Merc115
New Driver

Better for a small boat but the comment wont post 

Merc115
New Driver

How much does it all weigh ? Put in 16 foot checkmate.
Merc115
New Driver

Hope it works better then this website, wrote a cool original post lost it stupid error messages

TR_Dave
Passenger

There is a guy here in town who has customers who will buy a brand new vehicle ($50,000 to $80,000) and then drop another $100K into a customization.  For these guys another $35K is a drop in the bucket.  And when you consider you can buy a whole Tesla for $35K it is evident that they are amortizing their tooling investment.  Once that is done the price will come down.  I'll be that in 10 years you can get a conversion for about the price of an engine rebuild.

Ghost
Passenger

what is the rpm on this motor

55AJS
New Driver

They are getting there but should refrain from using the term "zero emissions" as this is not true.

sam15a
Passenger

Converting a conventional gas powered car to EV requires the removal of all surplus equipment (IC engine/gear box assy, gas tank & fuel pump, radiator, exhaust system, etc.) and installing an electric motor/inverter assy, accommodating/installing one or more battery modules, replacing much of the dash with a computer/display system connected to various sensors, and more. 

To make economic sense the price tag of all the new equipment + the labor to complete the conversion/installation on an existing car body should be at least somewhat less than the price tag of a brand new EV of comparable performance. That objective is unlikely to be reachable at the present time with available components and thus might  only make sense if economics is not a prime consideration. 

sam15a
Passenger

Converting a conventional gas powered car to EV requires the removal of all surplus equipment (IC engine/gear box assy, gas tank & fuel pump, radiator, exhaust system, etc.) and installing an electric motor/inverter assy, accommodating/installing one or more battery modules, replacing much of the dash with a computer/display system connected to various sensors, and more. 

To make economic sense the price tag of all the new equipment + the labor to complete the conversion/installation on an existing car body should be at least somewhat less than the price tag of a brand new EV of comparable performance. That objective is unlikely to be reachable at the present time with available components and thus might  only make sense if economics is not a prime consideration. 

Xaganhillman
New Driver

25K-35K?   Are you kidding?  Plus the cost of batteries and other hardware?  So you are saying that only the top 10% could afford this.

FalconCN58
New Driver

We had to throw away our 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix Cause who wanted to buy the second engine rebuild, the first rebuild was @ 55k. No scratches on the thing, I just replaced the stupid floor shift with a perfectly adapted ivory billiard ball in the first month off the showroom floor, and added seat belts, the blind anchors were part of the car. This E-motor would have pushed the past 300-400,000 miles with almost no maintenance. Batterie packs are quickly improving, addressing all the points reader's have questioned here, and the biggest secrets of mined petroleum is the 5-6 Kwh of electricity to fractionate & crack each gallon of your car's gasoline (with 11% getting to the rear wheels, according to BMW). Thus middle east countries are building square kilometers of solar power. Of course, all the waste product is flared off at the well, split off as kerosene for the airlines (if they can use it) and the remaining trash smeared on our roads over and over and over, like Irish political prisoners pising off their English guards. VOC's? The horror, the horror
FalconCN58
New Driver

$25K would buy you a big new four-bedroom house in 1962
notadamnsheep
New Driver

sheeple!
this is only for rich libs who want to virtue signal!
Watercruiser
New Driver

Everyone is talking about the price. Remember when a VHS VCR cost $1200? DVD Players? Cellphones?

Once mass production kicks in, the price will come down. And those power numbers look pretty good. No more oil, anti freeze, etc..With serious focus, the USA could lead the world, just like Detroit did with cars based on the ICE.
V8s-forever
New Driver

Notice this does not say how to get power steering and AC. OH YA what about Heat. Remember these ev batteries are 1 step from being Nuclear in contamination. Remember it also will take 2 pumper trucks 3 to 4 hours to put out an EV Battery fire. Many have been videotaped. Wher is the joy in bolting an EV Motor in. Probably a man bun thing.