cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

The new Bronco’s crawler gear ratio is seriously impressive

The unveiling of the 2021 Ford Bronco came with lots of good news for off-road enthusiasts: plenty of ground clearance thanks to tall tires, impressive approach and departure angles, and a staggeringly deep crawl ratio on the optional seven-speed manual transmission. Jason Fenske of the YouTube channel Engineering Explained took a look at the figures to break down how it’ll work out on the trail.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-new-broncos-crawler-gear-ratio-is-seriously-impressive/

29 REPLIES 29
CAZINPA
Passenger

Yes BUT, this transmission is not available with the Sasquatch package which is the one targeted at offroad!

1986olds442
New Driver

Need to make it available in a V8. Also making the V8 available in the Lincoln Navigator and the Aviator. Would be a homerun.

pboova
Passenger

terrific explanation!!!

Footpounds
New Driver

A one foot (12") lever is constant, lbs. is the variable. It's always foot pounds and never feet pound. Why does everyone get this wrong ??

Todd_Z
Pit Crew

And to get even more pedantic, torque is force x distance so it's technically lb.ft. and not ft.lb.  

turbobill
Intermediate Driver

Torque is expressed as lbs/ft and work produced is expressed as ft/lbs.

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

It's ft-lbs when talking about torquing a fastener and lb-ft when talking about engine output.
MattK
Detailer

I like that side door lower window, very slick, will aid in seeing what's going on if your rock crawling.

TonyT
Instructor

Hmmm. My 1963 GMC 4000 with a "granny low" offset first gear will run about three MPH at 2500 RPM. What's old is new again...

gdommjr
New Driver

Are the axles strong enough to handle 29000 lb-ft of torque.

turbobill
Intermediate Driver

It looks more like an International Scout than a retro Bronco........but that's ok too.

Retrorider
Passenger

Absolutely OK !

spoom
Technician

Yeah, it does. Good thing so many people back then thought Ford made the Scout, too 😉 I really like what I'm seeing here, compared to early "spy photos" and such.
tygar
New Driver

Let me know when they have a decent V8 for it.

Yossarian
New Driver

How about a decent V6?  Entry level is a 1.5L 3 cylinder or upgrade to a 4 banger.

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

Entry level is not a 1.5 in this vehicle.

Rider79
Instructor

With Ford's excellent 2.7 EcoBoost V6, no need for a heavy V8 (as much as many of us may love them - 5.0 forever!)  My sister-in-law and her husband have the 2.7 EcoBoost in an F-150, and it pulls their 5-6000 pound trailer over the mountains without a whimper.

RambleSlate
Navigator

I bet Roush will do a V8 version.  Maybe.  I hope.

farna
Detailer

There are always those who want a V8 simply because they want it. It''s ingrained in the old school mind -- got to have a V-8!! Never mind that fact that many modern four cylinder cars will routinely trounce big block V8 muscle cars from the 60s. The ultra low crawl gear eliminate the need for lots of engine "grunt" on the low end, and with seven speeds and a turbo there's plenty power on the upper end. It's about the power and bearing, not the number of cylinders or cubic inches. We're not in the 60s and 70s any more...  The turbo V6 would be a great option for those who just have to have more power though.

Yossarian
New Driver

1.5L 3 cylinder engine, real impressive, LoL...

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

Wrong vehicle. The Bronco sport is the Escaped based cross-over with the 1.5. The Bronco here is the truck based SUV. 

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

This will probably be the last manual available in any Ford truck period. That alone is worth the price of admission. Automatic transmissions are gateway drugs for electric cars.

RBHatton
New Driver

Just be happy they are still making this type of vehicle, as in the onrushing electrification age, they will be forced out of the market as "envioromentally unfriendly".    I see them as a way to go see the real outdoors, without competing with the Priuses and Teslas during the journey.  

Dave404
Detailer

No diesel no dice.

Rider79
Instructor

Diesels are dying out.

RambleSlate
Navigator

The crawl gear is all about keeping your foot off the clutch.  They grazed the point by mentioning not needing to slip the clutch a few times, but staying off of it as much as possible in a rock crawl scenario is where very low gearing shines on a manual transmission.  My ‘64 F100 with factory 4-wheel-drive has a Warner T98A trans with a 6.4 planetary first gear, to a Spicer 24 divorced t-case with a 1.86 low, to a Dana 60-2 rear with 4.11 gears for a 49:1 engine to wheel speed ratio.  I use first gear and low range (with the front hubs disengaged) for parades.  It works great; I only use the clutch to rev the engine and make noise.

MOTORHEADTY
New Driver

Sounds good let's see!

Gregg
Navigator

Great illustration for sure. Very informative! The new Bronco looks great, to me it’s definitely winner!!

uweschmidt
Detailer

Re Last Manual transmission in 1973 it was officially announced: There will never be another convertible and some 30 years ago it was made mandatory in many places that all houses will never have any more windows that can be opened how is all that working for You?