cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The most valuable Mustangs from every generation

Interested in the Mustang's longtime rival? Check out the most valuable Chevrolet Camaros, here. Of the more than 10 million Mustangs Ford has produced in the last six decades, the vast majority have been affordable and remain so to this day. And thank goodness for that.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/the-most-valuable-mustangs-from-every-ge...
78 REPLIES 78
hoodlydoodly
Pit Crew

Boring topic...
MidntPurpleRain
Intermediate Driver

@hoodlydoodly prudent thing to do then would be to not read it then, move on and let those who want to read it do so in peace.
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

Boring reply. You're even.
Foxbodyknowledg
Pit Crew

Great topic. 

jekirkbride
Intermediate Driver

"Boring topic" yet you click on it, comment on it, reply on it.
methinks thou dost protest too much.

Solosolo1
New Driver

@hoodlydoodly. That's only because you own a Chev?
hoodlydoodly
Pit Crew

Don't get bent out of shape. I like Mustangs, but it's a tired topic, and no, I don't own a Chevrolet product.

PRScott
Detailer

Because they made a billion of them. Kind of like beetles.
Lightning1
Detailer

Am I wrong in thinking the 1st gen was 64-66, 2nd gen 67-68?
rokky
Intermediate Driver

There never was a 64 Mustang.
It was a 65 that came out early.
No VIN number was ever a 64.
hunternicholas
Intermediate Driver

That's right! THANK YOU! I am soooo sick of that!
The '65 had an early release that was probably so Ford would have cars actually ready for sale in anticipation of the excitement of the Mustang being at the Ford Pavilion of the 1964-65 New York Worlds Fair.
TB
Intermediate Driver

called 64 1/2 titled as a 65, early ones had the same 260 as the 63 Falcons
wjones1954
Pit Crew

All generations are based on their platform. Mustang used the original Falcon-based platform thru ‘73
Oldroad1
Instructor

No. 67-73 they used the Fairlane chassis. They needed a larger platform to handle the size and weight of the big blocks they had planed starting in 1967.
wjones1954
Pit Crew

That’s not true. Fairlane is considered a Falcon platform. The Falcon platform, with variations, lasted through the Granada/Monarch/Versailles.That’s not true. Fairlane is considered a Falcon platform. The Falcon platform, with variations, lasted through the Granada/Monarch/Versailles.

Sajeev
Community Manager

It's become standard practice to consider the 65-73 the same generation, maybe because they were similar under the skin and the Mustang II ensured everyone thinks of the II as the second generation Mustang???

Lightning1
Detailer

Interesting because the suspension components and dimensions between the 65-66, 67-68, 69-70, and 71-73 are quite different and not interchangeable. On the Chevy side, if parts don't interchange, it's a new generation.
krdale
Intermediate Driver

Brakes 4 piston 65 - 67 & single piston 68 - 73
Rear ends suspensions stayed the same . . .
Steering box changed in 68 due to safety regulations . . . all power steering components stayed the same.
The basic configuration was unchanged except for the width & length of the floor pans right up to the Monarchs/Granada/Versille.

GM had a hodgepodge of Unit bodies, full frames, & bolt on front rails through the 60s & 70s.
Huntz-Hall
Intermediate Driver

I'm not sure but I think you're correct.
hunternicholas
Intermediate Driver

I agree, I don't know what basis the author used, but it bugged me too.
He also seemed to get another generational thing wrong. The Me-First Generation was the 1980's, not the seventies as his sentence seemed to point toward.
Oldroad1
Instructor

Your right. 1 65-66 2 67-68 3 69-70 4 71-73 5 74-78 6 79-04 7 05-?
TeeeeJayyyy
New Driver

You think like I do.
1st gen: 65,66 2nd gen: 67,68 3rd gen: 69,70 4th gen: 71,72,73 5th oops gen: 74,75,76,77,78 6th gen: 79 to 98 7th gen: 99 to 04 8th gen: 05 to 14 9th gen: 15 to current year. Anyone else with me?
bblhed
Advanced Driver

No mention of the Saleens?
MustangJim
Detailer

I would think that Saleen is off because they are an aftermarket "tuner".
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

Some of the earlier Saleens are covered on Hagerty Valuation Tools, but they are not the most expensive for their respective generation, hence not being mentioned.

NoDriverAids
New Driver

Sold my 66 GT350 mustang rapidly, glad I did! The Mustang E is a stinky stain to every Mustang that came before it! The marketing department at Ford is lost in my opinion, especially since they had the name Thunderbird at their opportunity.  

Revellcraft02
Intermediate Driver

Exactly, even the Mustang ll is more “Mustang” than that.
Oldroad1
Instructor

Can't fix stupid.
krdale
Intermediate Driver

Even Porsche has an SUV . . . all the manufacturers are jumping on the EV bandwagon now . . . going to be interesting how they are all going to get the materials necessary to build all these EVs . . . these vehicles have a Massive Karbon Footprint just sitting in the showroom.
rokky
Intermediate Driver

The II was a Pinto pretending to be a Mustang.
krdale
Intermediate Driver

And was a sales success . . . outsold the competition by many 1000s . . .

It was like today . . . a period of expensive gasoline and folks were buying Pintos & Vegas as well as fast rusting imports to save a buck.

Far from my favorite Mustang . . . but put a lot of Black ink on Corporate ledgers.
WerbyFord
Pit Crew

Too many / wrong "Generations". 1979-2014 is all the same, just Foxes with a different "SN" number until IRS hit in 2015. I'd give it
1964-66 small blocks, 65 HiPo Fastback
1967-70 ok the Boss429 (not sure why you think the Boss302 was "more streetable")
1971-73 MegaMustang, actually DESIGNED for the Boss9 but 71-429SCJ has to be tops
1974-78 Mustang II
1979-2014 Foxes & Friends. IIRC the 89-93 LX Notchback was best bang-for-buck ever
2015-up, these ended up heavier than the 71 429SCJ cars. How do you DO that?
That's the 6 generations as I would split em up.
Gotta give it to the 68-70 428CJ for most wins in NHRA. The Boss429 Mustang was just for car shows. That engine belonged in the Talladega/Spoiler II.
krdale
Intermediate Driver

"1979-2014 is all the same," ? ? ? Wrong . . .

2005 was based on the Lincoln LS /Jag Platform . . . NO relation to the Fox platform.
Was a completely NEW car . . .

gasoline
New Driver

I agree with Lightning1, in no way I would consider a 64-1/2 in the same category as a '73. If we used that reasoning then the '94-'04 would be lumped into the '79-'93 as they shared most of the chassis and structure and even engines (for the first couple of years before the modular OHV/DOHC came into the mix).

Personally I would split the hairs even more than what Hagerty published in the following: '64-1/2 to '66, then '67-'70, then '71-73, then '74-'78. For the fox body I would even split the four eyed years from '79-'86, then '87-'93 as there really is a different following for those 2 styles. The rest of it would remain as '94-'04, and '05-'14.

Also, there was the one year only 1978 King Cobra Mustang II, and wouldn't that be the most desirable as the top of the line last year production model...just my opinion.
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

This is the way.
TonyT
Instructor

The facts point out that the '64 1/2 through '66 Mustangs had a narrower track width than the '67 through '70 models, and the windshields are common from 64 1/2 to 68. There are enough differences among other hard parts to accurately state that the first generation cars would have a hard cutoff at 1968. I would think in light of that, the '65 K-code would be the most valuable of the first gen cars.
Huntz-Hall
Intermediate Driver

Yup!
hunternicholas
Intermediate Driver

I agree with you. But please guys ditch the '64 1/2 reference. They're all '65's
It doesn't matter anymore. Only idiots payed more money for something called a '64 1/2.
If you want to cut things that close just say, Early '65.
gfviperman
Detailer

none ....
HotRodGTO
Pit Crew

Lost my attention after First generation...
Foxbodyknowledg
Pit Crew

Clueless about cars

okfoz
Detailer

No 6th gen.... Obviously the 2020-2022 GT500, maybe it was just assumed...
69Grandecj
New Driver

King Cobra would be the most valuable II.

Also if no Shelbys, no Saleens.
69Grandecj
New Driver

They way Hagerty broke up the generations is what is accepted in the Mustang community, and including the Mustang Club of America.
Gene_M
Intermediate Driver

Then they have to be reset
hunternicholas
Intermediate Driver

That's a disgrace on all things Mustang. I say MCA is doing the Mustang an overall disfavor/disrespect having adopted a big lump of '65-'73's as gen one. Specification wise it doesn't make sense either.
Oldroad1
Instructor

What Hagerty and the MCA agree on does not mean they are both correct. Chassis changes and body styles are all generational in automobile manufacturing.
RickL
Intermediate Driver

Why do people feel they need to put another's vehicle down. I have an 84 Anniversary model I bought new and still have it and just went over 200,000 miles. I have driven it, drag raced it, and thoroughly have enjoyed it. This is a hobby about Cars!!! All kinds of them, whether you like them or not. Butt (pun intended) everybody has an opinion and great to live in a country where we can express it. Most of all enjoy whatever you have and DRIVE it.
franimal007
Pit Crew

65 to 73 is way too much of a time span. Strictly talking Mustangs, 65/66 I would say either year GT K-code fastback. 67/68 I would go with either a 67 GT K-code, or 681/2 428 car. 69/70 yes the Boss 429. 71/73 Boss 351 1971 or maybe and I am not sure of the year the 429 Mach 1. 74/75/76/77/78? King Cobra, there also was a few 351 in the early King's. I will let the author take it from there, I have no love for FOX body cars.
I was talking Mustangs, no Shelbys or any other version.