cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The most valuable Camaros from every generation

Interested in the Camaro's longtime rival? Check out the most valuable Ford Mustangs, here. Rumors of the Camaro's approaching demise have been circulating for a while now, and with General Motors' announcement of its electrification plan, that rumor looks more realistic every day. If all indications are correct, 2023 could be the last year for the Camaro.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/the-most-valuable-camaros-from-every-gen...
16 REPLIES 16
buellerdan
Intermediate Driver

I was always under the impression that the 1992 Z-28 1LE was most valuable 3rd gen (116 built). Always wanted one with radio delete. I guess those IROC decals are the bomb, but there's no denying the bump that the 1LE package provides in any 3rd gen.
Too bad most of the 5th gen COPOs were snapped up by collectors, never to see the light of day.
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@buellerdan It's sort of a toss up between IROCs and Z/28's of the time. I think the IROC has the nostalgia advantage which carries a slight premium over a Z/28 from the numbers I've seen. But I think the 1LE is hard to pin down. I'd imagine that most 3rd Gen people would be happy to score any 1LE given their scarcity, but I'd expect for the collector who has it all, they'd be willing to pay a bit more to have the best AND rarest example.

Pioneer27185
Intermediate Driver

Again as is parr for you guys: the '69 Camaro gets all the press! Totally ignoring the majority '67 &'68 RS/SS owners! I deeded mine to my Nephew as I am too old and fat to enjoy my '68 327 RS/SS.
MidntPurpleRain
Intermediate Driver

@Pioneer27185 well, the article is about the most expensive Camaros per generation and it so happens that the most expensive 1st Gen is a 1969. I don't understand how 67/68 was ignored if neither meet the criteria of the subject.

Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@Pioneer27185 I assure you that the intent was not to snub the 67/68 in this article. It just so happens that the 69 ZL1 beats out even the 67/68 Yenkos by a decent margin. The article is certainly not picking a personal favorite, but based in hard data from our price guide. That said, your nephew is very lucky to have an uncle so willing to pass the car along to a caretaker in the family.

Pioneer27185
Intermediate Driver

I am not an uncle, I am an aunt! Just out of curiosity, what would a
good condition 68 RS/SS 327 automatic Camaro be worth now?
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@Pioneer27185 My apologies. Even better.

On the values, we carry a wide selection on Hagerty Valuation Tools. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/Auto/1968/Chevrolet/Camaro

I do have to ask, is this an original SS with a 327 or a tribute? We do not list values on the SS with a 327 because at least according to Chevy, the smallest engine in the SS was a 350. As for the automatic and the RS package, see our value notes on the page for accurate estimates.

SJ
Instructor

Great article, always thought Mustang and Camaro stayed true to their roots. Loved the rivalry growing up in the early days, every car magazine had something about it.
cb1
New Driver

2010 ss all the way!
Gary_Bechtold
Technician

The 5th Generation cars never did it for me but the previous genes get the most love from me, especially Gen 1 and 3 but 2 isn't far behind. I considered buying a Gen 4 but I just couldn't live with that car as it was uncomfortable to me.
halw53
New Driver

I have one of 10 2014 Z28's produced by Callaway with Chevy's blessing not unlike the Baldwin Motion cars or the Yenko produced vehicles. It's one of the few cars that I had "put away" thinking it would increase dramatically in value. I only drive it to keep the tires round and fuel fresh. It's a beast of a car and the only one produced without Callaway exterior badging and with Yellow brake calipers. So it's a "one of one". Love it but need to make room for my new Z06 so if anyone wants a very cool collector car, let me know at weinsteinhs@gmail.com.
Tapeman
New Driver

Yes. We all know the most valuable 1st Gen Camaro is a ZL1…but they’re as rare as hen’s teeth. The article would be more interesting if, at least for Gen-1, which does have a few really valuable Camaros, if the writer included the rest of the best: the COPO, the Yenko, the dual-quad 4-wheel disc brake Z28.
How about it?
Mike-man
New Driver

I own a 2018 ZL1 convertible in arctic blue metallic. Loaded and under 14k miles. Obviously a rare duck, but I’m wondering how rare. Does anyone know where to find how many were made?
Willie
New Driver

Third gen stuff:
The often misunderstood and completely forgotten third gen Camaro is the 1987 convertible. There were only 1007 produced, 263 Sport Coupes and 744 Z28s, when the goal was 5,000 units. And for those who do not know, only the convertible was designated by Chevy as the "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition", and includes a map pocket (the only third gen) with this designation.
Unfortunately, there are no further breakdowns of the production numbers, i.e. how many of the Sport Coupes were LTs, and how many Z28s were IROC-Zs.. If I take the total percentage of IROC-Zs to Z28s (coupes and convertibles), yields 73.6 percent. Applying this to the convertible yields: 547 IROC-Zs and 197 Z28s. However, I speculate there are far more IROC-Zs because dealerships tended to special order these much more than the Z28.

This variant is the "unknown" anniversary Camaro simply because Chevrolet did not advertise. Some dealerships received none until 1988, when 5620 were produced.
The ultimate third gen trivia question: There was ONE part on this car that was made by FORD. The oval Ford logo was shaved of prior to installation. What is it?
SJ100
Pit Crew

Thanks for putting this out there. My first car I owned was a 68 Camaro. I now have a 69 Camaro.
I remember back in day I liked the 67/68 style better than the 69. The 67/68 handled the big tires in back better than the 69 I thought. It was 1978 when I got my 68 Camaro.
ClassicRob
New Driver

As a third gen guru, previous third gen car show judge, and chapter President in Texas, I would say the 1992 1LE or Heritage Edition would be the most sought after Third Gen Camaro. Followed by the 1989 IROC G92. You could get the G92 package in previous years which are also equally saught after. The truth is, they never really made any specialty Camaros in the third gen body style. The 1LE, G92 and B4C are pretty much it. During these years, Pontiac (RIP I miss you so bad) got the nice cars with the 1989 Turbo Trans Am with a GNX 3.8 V6 and the beloved 91-92 Firehawk (which is probably the best third gen ever made). I can tell you for sure the 1990 cars arent as popular because the updated dash and not as attractive air bag steering wheel are always a downfall when talking about these cars. Personally, I would take a 1989 G92 350 car with the auto. White, black or red. After that would be the rare gun metal metallic gray 1985 Z28. But thats just my opinion.

Also the LS cars are WAY more popular that the 30th Anniversary LT1 when it comes to 4th gens. Personally, I think the LT1 front end is better looking. So I wont argue that pick 🙂