cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Monterey auctions may be online, but these 8 oddballs keep it weird

Although some of the Monterey auctions have been canceled outright this year, the major ones—including RM Sotheby’s, Bonhams, and Gooding & Co.—have moved online, so there are still plenty of dream cars to drool over. As always, there are also several unusual and downright weird cars on offer that appeal to the folks with more eccentric tastes.

Here are the eight strangest rides we could find that are up for grabs online this August.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/the-monterey-auctions-may-be-online-but-these-8-oddballs-keep...

Replies (15)

Replies (15)

The blue and white color scheme on Ferraris is also a reference to Luigi Chinetti and NART (North American Racing Team). His showroom in Greenwich Ct. used to have a lot of cool stuff on the floor, unlike Malcolm Pray who kept the good stuff in his garage. As background blue and white were the US nation racing colors back when that was a thing.

The Mercedes pickup is a bit of a disappointment. The crew cab looks awkward and it pales in comparison to the W114/W115 pickups made in Argentina in the 70s

New Driver

The 1954 Edwards looks like a Chrysler Corp concept car most likely a DeSoto

Passenger

I'm surprised that the Willys Jeepster wasn't mentioned in the Siata report. Car looks like a Jeepster fed with bangers and mash.

Pit Crew

I would drive away the MadMax 32 in the back ground of the photo of the Probe 16!

Passenger

Are those Campagnolo wheels on the Probe?

New Driver

The Siata looks very similar to an American car that I can't recall the name of - possibly King Midget? 

Detailer

Those FIAT's are truly ugly. The 1100 grille would look at home on a later Pontiac. You need to give Michelotti an article of his own to redeem his reputation. The Edwards is a contender, but the grille on that particular car looks somewhat misshapen. I too would take the Force 1 if given the choice. 

Pit Crew

Some really amazing cars. looking at the Mercedes Benz E320 Pickup..it becomes obvious why the USA should resurrect the Ranchero and El Camino. Our old versions of this theme put the mercedes to shame.

Intermediate Driver

I LOVE the Bonhams, Lot#31. I can see myself driving that.

Passenger

The Zagato Ferrari is gorgeous, as to the rest...

Pit Crew

The Standard Motor Car Co. must have done nothing more than pay Vignale to add a rear seat and rebadge that 1957 Fiat 1200 as the Standard Vanguard.

New Driver

The Standard Motor Car Co.  must have just paid Vignale to add a rear seat and rebadge that 1957 Fiat 1200 as the Standard Vanguard.

New Driver

some really amazing rides.

re: 1969 M-505 Adams Brothers Probe 16

This would be a fun car to take a drive thru the California Desert on a hot sunny day without air conditioning.

Intermediate Driver

The VLF Force 1 looks descended from the Kellison J5

New Driver