cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The joy of silencing a metallic rattle by replacing the compressor pulley bearing | Hagerty Media

Since my daily driver repeatedly lost power and nearly stranded me recently, I thought this week would be devoted to fixing it. However, it appears likely that the root cause of the problem is in the transfer pump that moves fuel from the left partition of the tank to the right one where the main fuel pump is located.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/the-joy-of-silencing-a-metallic-rattle-by-re...
10 REPLIES 10
JHaydon
Intermediate Driver

OK Rob, you talked me into ordering your AC book. The aftermarket system in my '54 isn't blowing as cold as it did last summer, even after a recharge. Looking forward to learning what's what!
DUB6
Gearhead

A/C and related terminology like "compressor", "condenser", and "refrigerant" has always terrified me (even more so that electrical stuff, because I know that I NEED electronics to make a vehicle run, but I don't NEED air conditioning, so it's easier to make myself work on wiring issues).  But as I read this story, it made this sort of thing sound almost mundane, normal, and - dare I say it - even simple.  Either this is an immense trick being played on me, or I might just be able to handle some low-level A/C install and repair issues.  I'm gaining confidence, Rob - keep writing these articles and I just might be riding in cool-air-comfort one of these days!

Tinkerah
Technician

I'll be learning on my wife's car this week heh heh heh....
DUB6
Gearhead

@Tinkerah , you are a MUCH braver soul than I - 😲

Tinkerah
Technician

Not as brave as I sound; since it doesn't work at all I won't make it worse.

LesFender
Intermediate Driver

Good article. Not "all" A/C compressors have clutches - many are now electronically-controlled variable displacement clutchless ones that can essentially reach practically zero pumping capacity via the electronics commanding the angle of the pistons' swash plate. On these, the pulley (so therefore, also the swash plate shaft) always spins. Also, WAY back in the day (like in the 50s), some compressors also didn't have clutches. To stop them from operating in the winter, you simply removed their drive belts.
gyashko
Intermediate Driver

Have you considered placing pieces of plywood under your jack stands when you want to use them on blacktop?
Tinkerah
Technician

That's the routine here if it's a hot day.
thehackmechanic
Advanced Driver

Lex
Pit Crew

When I started replacing the bearings in GM A6 compressors forty years ago I was not impressed by the factory gouging. GM wanted over $200 in today's money. I soon found out that SKF, Bower/BCA , NSK, and Carter sold them for one third the price. Nor was I impressed by a rebuilt compressor one on my mom's Z-28. It had dirt in the seal and leaked freon. A unit from Palestine, Texas.