cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

The improvised, tortuous birth of Vietnam gun trucks

Eve of Destruction, Instant Death, The Executioner, Blood Sweat & Tires, Brutus, Cold Sweat, The Creeper.

The names of Vietnam gun trucks read like a heavy metal setlist. With exteriors slathered in black and enough firepower to level a cattle stampede, U.S. gun trucks ruled the roads of Vietnam by late 1967. However, these beasts weren’t thoughtfully engineered affairs that arrived alongside U.S. troops in 1961; they were haphazardly developed in the Vietnam jungles by U.S. soldiers desperate to protect their supply lines ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/the-improvised-tortuous-birth-of-vietnam-gun-trucks...

5 REPLIES 5
littlebagger
Passenger

I'm having flashbacks lol

Historian
Detailer

God, but I love how creative we Americans are.  I just lost a cousin, who was a US Special Forces medic in Vietnam.  Besides his life-saving medic duties, he also worked as a tunnel-rat.  He served our nation in Vietnam during three tours, and served a total of 20 years, retiring as a captain, having worked his way up through the ranks.  One of the bravest, nicest, and most honorable men you'd ever meet.  RIP Captain Mark E. Barker, USA Ret.  Your duties are done, your pain is done, and you will be sorely missed!

manorborn
Pit Crew

As I asked my company commander back then: Remind me again why are we going there? We were guinea pigs plain and simple. Anyone who tells you differently is either brainwashed or just can't accept the fact that we did the opposite of what we convinced ourselves to believe: we fought against another nation's right for self determination. Period. Like the English in the 18th C. I engross myself in cars to forget. Let's keep it that way and skip the contrived history lessons.

jcav48
Pit Crew

Interesting article, I remember seeing these beasts on the roads in Vietnam. We were amazed at the variety of configurations, but the artwork on the sides really caught our young eyes. Like all historical vehicles, they have their place and their followers. Nice work. 

richreed701
Pit Crew

I attended the NCO Academy at Ft. Eustis in 1972.  They lumped us rotorheads (helicopter mechanics and crew) in with the "Sixty-Four Charlies," the truckers.  At the time, Eve was sitting outside at the Transportation Museum, which was not much more than a Quonset hut.  The truckers were disturbed by this and took their turn of academy classes caring for her, touching up paint, treating rust, digging out bird's nests.  There was an obvious and deep reverence for Eve displayed by these men, something that I always will remember.  Thanks for publishing this article.