cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The Hagerty Carcierge can answer your automotive questions | Hagerty Media

Curious about the original price of your 1953 Buick? Searching for a period-correct radio for your '62 Pontiac? Can't find an elusive part for your 1955 Citroën 2CV? Have no fear, the Hagerty Carcierge is here. The Carcierge is an automotive version of a hotel concierge. Need something and can't find it yourself?
https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/hagerty-carcierge-answers-automotive-questions/
11 REPLIES 11
Glassman01
New Driver

I am restoring my third 68 vette this one is a numbers matching car but the front end was replaced with a 70s model. I have removed and replaced all the 70s features with the correct 68 features. I was wondering if it would effect the value of the car if I changed the paint color from its original international blue to my favorite torch red. I'm thinking probably not because the car has already been altered. Any advice on this matter?
Sajeev
Community Manager

It probably will not, unless this is a low mileage original that's been restored to NCRS levels of perfection. Most people love red Corvettes more than blue ones, and most people don't really care about owning a 100% perfect museum piece. So it really depends on how perfect it is, or how perfect you will make it. If that makes any sense. 

DublD
Intermediate Driver

I want to convert the single master cylinder to a dual master cylinder on my 1960 Thunderbird with power brakes. There are numerous dual master cylinder kits with proportioning valve out there for manual brakes, but I haven't found one for power brakes (4 wheel drum). Also, front disc versions, but I would like to keep my drum brakes and and factory rims. I've been advised that using a manual master cylinder will cause touchy brakes (or lock 'em up) and pushrod is different. I'm hoping for a kit for power brakes, or a more modern one that fits my power booster from a Galaxie, Fairlane or Mustang etc. Can you help me?
Sajeev
Community Manager

That's a good question, and you are lucky because 1960 Fords used a two bolt master cylinder (bolts that go to the firewall) so they are similar to the ones you can get for a 1967 Ford Galaxie (or any other 1967 Ford). 

I looked at power drum brake master cylinders for 1967 Galaxies and came up with 
RAYBESTOS MC36231 as a possible fit for your needs. Check it out here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309052&cc=1403312&pt=1836&jsn=933

DublD
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for looking that up Sajeev. It's the type I've been looking at. The Thunderbirds bolt up to a bracket with 4 bolts, not on the firewall, although i don't see the purpose of the top 2 studs. The larger reservoir chamber at the back of this one is generally for disc brakes, but the description says drum front and rear. Hopefully my local supplier will let me order one and try it for size, and return it if it doesn't fit!
Sajeev
Community Manager

Hmm, I really thought (from what I found online, and the Internet is always right 🙂 ) that they switched all cars to a two bolt style in 1960. But I will keep my fingers crossed that one can still work for you! 

DublD
Intermediate Driver

After spending 3 1/2 weeks with a cast on, finally got back to the brakes. I installed a dual master cylinder from a '67 Mustang w/power, 4 wheel drum brakes. Had to add extra 'O' rings to get a seal for the vacuum at the booster, but I now have functioning power brakes with a dual master cylinder!

CharlesA
New Driver

My steering wheel on my 1970 Buick GSX is cracked, it’s a 3 spoke padded steering wheel (different from the 1970 GS), if possible can I get the original steering wheel fixed or do you have any recommendations on where to purchase a new one?
Sajeev
Community Manager

I'd recommend getting the original one fixed.  Places like Steering Wheel Bob or Gary's Steering Wheel can help, or you can also do it yourself: https://www.eastwood.com/master-steering-wheel-repair-kit-w-instruc.html

bchriste43
New Driver

Looking to rebuild transmission on 56 Thunderbird, need repair shop in Chicago area, any suggestions?
Bill C
KacyS
Hagerty Employee

Hi Bill C,

Thank you for reaching out to the Ask Hagerty expert service. We appreciate your patience as we work on your request.

I was able to locate a few mechanic facilities that would be happy to assist you with the transmission on your 1956 Thunderbird. 

Modern Carriage Werks - PH: 708-430-6877 - website: https://moderncarriage.com/

- 7500 W 85th Street, Bridgeview, IL 60455.

- This is a Hagerty Expert Repair Network facility that we work with on anything from tune-ups to claims related damages. 

Scott's Garage - PH: 708-396-2082 - 12629 S. Knoll Dr, Aslip, IL 60803. 

Pro/Car Hotrods - PH: 708-499-0710 - website: https://procarhotrods.com/

- 9139 South Kedzie Avenue, Evergreen Park, IL 60805. 

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reach back out to us at askhagerty@hagerty.com. Thank you for driving with Hagerty!

Best,

Kacy S.