cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The great ignition debate: Points vs. Pertronix | Hagerty Media

It's become a debate for the ages. Ford versus Chevy. Coke versus Pepsi. And now, points versus Pertronix. For nearly 70 years, just about every car had a points-based ignition system. This venerable design was invented by Charles F. Kettering, first appeared on the 1910 Cadillac, and was used on most cars through the mid-1970s.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/ignition-debate-points-vs-pertronix/
1 REPLY 1
richnj
New Driver

I never thought i would have to go back to points & condenser - after over 30 yrs of using Pertronix - which still worked!! - but my distrib was worn out on a '68 chevy with 250 strait 6. Got a rebuilt Cardone distrib & the Pertronix plastic wheel with magnets fit too loosely over the center distrib shaft!!, rendering the Pertronix useless. Luckily i dont drive the car much anymore & pts/condenser are adequate.
Not sure if this would happen on other sample distributors from cardone or with other distrib rebuilders or even with new distrubutors for this motor, let alone on those for other motors. I confirmed with pertronix tech support that current overseas distrib shafts are not necessarily built to spec - but the adjustability of points can compensate for this, unlike with Pertronix.