cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The Fossmobile: Canada's first car | Hagerty Media

Imagine living in the 19th century when transportation consisted of bicycles, boats, trains, horses, and your own two feet. I can't begin to fathom what it would have been like to see your first automobile, but George Foote Foss of Sherbrooke, Quebec was immediately inspired.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-elsinore-files/the-fossmobile-canadas-first-car/
9 REPLIES 9
Foss
Pit Crew

This an amazing piece of Canadian automotive history, not well told or celebrated since the early 1960s. The Foss family is out to change that. The Fossmobile was Canada's first successful gasoline automobile and the tribute build is more than 80% complete, using mostly period correct parts to complete the project.
Flashman
Instructor

Love to read these arcane bits of automotive Canadiana. Modest to a fault, that's us. Keep up the good work, Brian.
Utopia1
Detailer

I wish him and Legendary Motor Car every success in recreating this amazing piece of Canadian history. I look forward to seeing it in person someday.
Someone from the Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance should contact Mr. Foss to include it in this years show in September.
Foss
Pit Crew

Thank you, I am in touch with them on a regular basis and my hope is that I will get an invitation, as you suggest. 

ve3hzz
Pit Crew

Glad to read it will one day be part of the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa, Ontario display. It is one place where a lot of the history of the Automobile in Canada can be seen and appreciated. Like most things Canadian this museum is unassuming when viewed from the street and typically understated. Worth a visit (once we all can do so again) if your in the Durham region....Thanks for posting this article and a tribute to Canadian ingenuity and craftsmanship.
IF it has wheels I'm into it!!
Oldbluebeater57
New Driver

Excellent story and history!!! Looking forward to see the finished car!!!! Hope some company makes a diecast collectable of the Foss!!! Ron Foss Thank you for your dedication on this incredible project.
keithcamaro
New Driver

I volunteer at the Reynolds-Alberta museum in Wetaskiwin, Alberta (Edmonton area) and hope a loan could be arranged so those of us in the west would have a better chance to see this amazing Canadian history piece.
dlemare
New Driver

Or better yet, build another replica so that the Reynolds would have a permanent one. No reason not to build two of them, even though the parts are rare and there was only one original.
Foss
Pit Crew

I have sent your message to the curator at the Canadian Automobile Museum. Once it is placed within the museum, it will be up to them to consider loan arrangements. I do understand this to be an acceptable practice. I am sure costs becomes the issue.