cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The first Pilot Car Camaro was the start of something big

Throughout history, competition has always improved quality, no matter the product. So as difficult as it may be for Camaro enthusiasts to admit, we owe some gratitude to that upstart pony car from Ford. The unfathomable success of the Mustang motivated General Motors to counter punch with a sweet pony car of its own, and the result was a fabulous four-seater with a long hood, short decklid, and prominent rear quarter panels. Car buyers confirmed that Chevrolet hit the bullseye, as more than 220,000 Camaros were sold in its 1967 debut model year.

Read the entire article on hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/the-first-pilot-car-camaro-was-the-start-of-something-big...

Replies (8)

Replies (8)

A Camaro you can actually see out of.  

Pit Crew

I know a lot of people complain that they see to many Camaro's (first Gen) at car shows, but there is something so aesthetically pleasing about the design. It's just spot on and one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I never owned one but I did have two 69 Firebirds so I am a little biased.

Pit Crew

‘Three pony cars’? There was a car called Javelin...

Pit Crew

Except for the whitewall tires that Camaro looks like the one my Dad bought in 1967, Granada Gold, 327/275HP, automatic, bench seat (i was 16 at the time and it seemed like a good idea!), tinted glass, exterior accent group, posi rear, AM radio. My brothers and I always got a kick out of my Dad when he would say we tricked him into buying "that big motor." When I saw the billboard with the 67 Camaro in Granada Gold, I thought that was the best looking car ever. Interesting that this was our family car, I had 2 bothers, and we were all over 6 feet tall. I still wonder where that car is today, hopefully somebody is still enjoying it as much as we did. By the way, after I went to College, my Dad traded it for a 67 Pontiac Catalina with A/C in 1969.

New Driver

It takes a special kind of person to happen on to Camaro #00001 and think, "Hey, I think I'll turn it into a drag racer!" Well, at least he kept the parts.

Pit Crew

Lee Iacocca always admired the fifirst long-hood,short-term, four-seater, V8, low-profile, performance car, the award winning 1953-55 Studebaker Starlight hardtop Commander and 6-cylinder Champion. Iococca directed development of mustang with several examples in the design department during early styling. Camaro far exceeded mustang in aesthics. Camero was the third of three "pony cars".

New Driver

Still have a soft spot for the  ‘67 Camaro, I bought one in April of that year, 275hp 327/4 speed/posi/disc brakes...nice car, totally flew under the insurance company radar. Traded it in a couple of years later on a BMW 2002....wish I’d kept them both.

Pit Crew

If Camaro owes its’ creation to mustang, then let us pay homage to where ford got its’ “Better Idea”......the inexpensive, sporty Corvair !

Pit Crew