cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dirty little secret of RV ownership

I’m stunned by all the responses to the story I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my mini adventures in a mini RV. I guess that I’m not the only vintage car owner who has dipped a toe into these waters. Thank you all so much for your input—both pro and con—on RV ownership.

Now that you’ve convinced me we’re all friends, I’m going to drill down into the nitty gritty and write about the dark underbelly of RV use. We’re going to discuss something usually not talked about in polite company—dumping the RV. And I don’t mean leaving it behind for a nice hotel room or B&B. Although this discussion may cause you to do exactly that.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-dirty-little-secret-of-rv-ownership/

View Entire Topic

Its not that bad. Put it into perspective. I do not know how many toilets you have in your home but if it is like mine where we don't have a housekeeper it is up to yours truly to clean each and everyone of them on a regular basis. So dumping RV tanks is not that much more difficult to confront. 

In the picture of your RV sewer hose it does have a 90 degree angle fitting on the end that is  sized for different diameter hook ups. Most RV park connections have a threaded plug that is removed when attaching your hose. The threads on the angle fitting screw into the sewer pipe and will stay there with just a couple of turns of the fitting. No need of a rock or cinder block to hold it in place. At most dump stations the hinged bronze lid  or a threaded pipe connection will also hold it in place while you dump. No hands needed. You might want to look at replacing the sewer hose with a higher quality piece. The one you get from the manufacturer of the RV or the RV dealer is generally pretty cheap. Better hoses do not have the rough corrugations inside that collect detritus and they flow much better. We also have a clear angle fitting on the end so it is easy to see when  the tanks have emptied and how clean the flow is.  

Yes, generally the larger the RV the larger the holding tanks. We have a 21 foot travel trailer and the grey water tank will fill long before the black. It is something that has to be monitored and plans made accordingly. Small tanks with no hook up probably means a one or two day stay if other facilities are not available. Most homes have a large sewer cleanout fitting located in the main line. Being in Boston yours might be in the basement if you have a basement. We repurposed the one at our home so that is convenient to the trailer location making it easy to dump.  In years past we  purchased a RV sewer cap that had a garden hose fitting. Hook up a hose and water the lawn and garden with grey water. There also is a RV sewer hook up available that has a built in macerating pump that discharges through a smaller diameter long hose that you can either put directly into a sewer or a toilet. Last time I Iooked it cost less than $50.  

Pit Crew