cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The chapter is closing on my cheap, convenient car storage

If I'm asked to describe myself, I say that, above most things, I'm simply a practical person. I try to find ways to do the things I want to do, often following the adage that "The perfect is the enemy of the good."
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/the-chapter-is-closing-on-my-cheap-convenien...
13 REPLIES 13
MeJ
Advanced Driver

I've never understood the need to own multiple versions of the same (essentially) car. While I guess it's kind of fun to have all these projects to work on I have always been more of the type to have one really top notch version of a car. Having five different Bmw's doesn't make much sense to me...
thehackmechanic
Advanced Driver

We love what we love. Besides, if I had one "really top notch" car, I'd have nothing to write about!
DaveA
Instructor

Right? Top notch cars are boring. They get you reliably from point A to B every time. Not very conducive to creating interesting content.

CitationMan
Technician

Rob, be careful with that 275,000 sq ft LOL.
DaveA
Instructor

I get what you’re saying, but people collect all sorts of stuff: watches, shoes, guns, etc. I don’t see this as any different.

OptimusPrime
Intermediate Driver

One of the things I like about having a two-car garage is that it limits me to two "toy" cars. I know enough about myself that I just don't have the time, money or energy for more than two without at least one car getting neglected. Been there, done that. And I'm too stingy to rent space.
DaveA
Instructor

Agreed! I only have room for one toy, so it cuts down on how much money and free time I spend. That’s a good thing.

Too_Many_Cars
Pit Crew

I had a 2,100 sq ft home and a 2,000 sq ft pole building on 2.5 acres for 19 years and had it FILLED to capacity with 7 cars and parts to the 16' ceiling that I put on pallet racking with a forklift...yes, I own a forklift to store parts... 🙂 I still needed to move 2 cars and a travel trailer to storage every winter to make room for working in the shop area and the plow truck, and then bring them back every spring. We moved 2.5 years ago to our "retirement " home on 2.8 acres that is 1,000 sq ft larger than our previous home but had only a 1,200 sq ft pole building. 3 cars went to storage and parts and equipment went into a storage locker for 2 years. We had another 1,440 sq ft pole building erected in the back yard and I finally brought everything "home". No more renting and hauling forth and back every year. I hope you can find the place you need to get in the same position, preferably before you are a 70, like me.
bradfa
Detailer

I sadly don't have hobby cars, but when storing cars in someone else's garage or building, how are rodents and insects controlled?
I have a cat so don't have rodents inside my house but my shed in my backyard is always full of them because I don't go in the shed all that often (couple times a week, max, during warm weather). I'm sure the cat gets some of them when they venture out but the cat can't go in the shed by himself. We all enjoyed the articles about cleaning out the mouse fun in the truck, but what kind of preventative measures do(es) you and/or your new storage area take?
Too_Many_Cars
Pit Crew

Best deterrent for me for many years was moth balls. EVERYTHING, including us,  hates that smell and it took half the summer to get it out of the cars !! I tried the dryer sheets one year, but it was too convenient for the rodents to chew up and make warn nests out of. I tried a new product called Critter Crumbs several years ago and have used that exclusively ever since. No issues with mouse intrusion and the smell is strong peppermint, but reasonably pleasant and goes away quickly in the spring when the product is removed and the windows left open for a few hours. Search the name and you can order it online and have it shipped. A little spendy for some, but it takes very little and can protect several cars for the cost, AND it actually works. They make another similar product for enclosed spaces such as your shed too.

tommykat1
Intermediate Driver

Face it, Rob, you're a collector with a serious addiction! 🙂
Swamibob
Technician

Congratulations Rob!

Sounds like you found an excellent place to your addiction... uh, non-collection. Looks like there's some interesting stuff hanging about the new space. I second the idea of getting friends together to move the other cars. If nothing else it's an opportunity to get together with like minded friends and have a day of fun along with pizza and beer. Sounds wonderful!
BillH
New Driver

We have 4 cars in what was essentially a three car garage-X1-Z3 Coupe, 330i Cab abd 330xi-so a tight fit but good for now-just need to find that eleusive warehouse-