cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

The Castle Duesenberg: One historic car that elevated two family legacies

Samuel Northrup Castle was a large man with deep pockets, a huge heart for Hawaii, and big plans for the big island. With a love of automobiles and plenty of means to acquire them, the savvy industrialist was looking for the very best car that money could buy. No one built bigger or better cars in the 1920s than Indiana brothers Fred and Augie Duesenberg.

Appropriately enough—considering the Castle family had amassed wealth and influence on the island with business holdings in everything from rapid transit and gas to sugar—Samuel Northrup Castle was ahead of the curve when he became the proud owner of a 1921 Duesenberg Straight Eight. The very first Duesenberg Straight Eight, in fact.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/the-castle-duesenberg-one-historic-car-that-elevated-two-...

5 REPLIES 5
geozinger
Detailer

I remember reading about this Duesenberg when it was going through the restoration several years back. It's a fascinating story that needs to be shared with the public; their donation to the ACD Museum has done just that. I guess I have to amble down to Auburn and see it myself. 

gec
Pit Crew

The Samuel Northrup Castle pictured above with his wife? and '21 Duesenberg is no 300 lb. specimen.  He's thin as a rail.  What's wrong with this picture?

SpiderBeetle
New Driver

The article requires editing. Samuel Northrup Castle died in 1894.
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

The Samuel Northrup Castle who died in 1894 was the grandfather of the Samuel Northrup Castle that commissioned the Duesenberg passenger vehicle.  According to the museum, "Our Mr. Castle was born on February 6, 1880 and passed away of a heart ailment in 1959.  The grandfather is more 'popular' when searching online because he was founder of Castle & Cooke and a key player in Hawaii."

Gerry-Coleman
New Driver

Samuel Northrup Castle's birth father was Charles Carson Coleman and he was raised by his mother and her parents because of Divorce. According to his Passport application he was 6' 1" and not 7'. He is in my family line. He was a very smart man as was his parents.