cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

The C8 Corvette is not without “flaws”

Jason Fenske of YouTube channel Engineering Explained is already familiar with the mid-engine Corvette, having done the math to see how GM managed to deliver a relatively affordable mid-engine machine that performs like a supercar. In his latest video, Fenske tackles five oft-criticized aspects of the C8 Corvette for those that are still skeptical.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/the-c8-corvette-is-not-without-flaws/

50 REPLIES 50
Instructor

Seems like sound reasoning, though I'll admit I don't own own and have never driven one. I'm surprised that some people are freaking out about the electronic brakes, considering how many mid-priced cars for over a decade have come with electronic throttle and/or power steering. Then there's current commercial jet airplanes...  

Intermediate Driver

Who said they were weaknesses?

Pit Crew

I still want one. There are some people out there that are the "purist" type that are going to nit pick the C-8 to death because it is rear mid engine and not a front mid engine anymore. Get over it, Zora started pushing for a rear mid engine Corvette back around the time I was born, and was till pushing for it when he retired in 75. Do I love my C-3? Yes, and I would love to have a C-8 to park next to it. All I have to do is get rid of my wife.

Pit Crew

I would prefer brake by wire with the pedal still attached to the master than throttle by wire where you might have difficulty convincing the computer to actually go to WOT. As for the understeer, it is safer for the uninitiated and easily balanced with a simple alignment with negative camber up front.

Pit Crew

The underpinnings maybe world class...albeit a few missteps...but why did GM wrap the C8 exterior with an odd assortment of design elements that makes one wonder if the rear stylists had a beef with the front stylists...the interior group put an interior sea wall console between the driver and the passenger whom feels claustrophobic and neglected...GM should have included previous Corvette owners on their design teams as advisors...there are "styling traditions" that foreign manufacturers have fine tuned through generations that enhance the loyalty of owners with older models...I don't see the new C8 as "timeless styling"...not matter how proficient the C8 is as a "track rat" the bulk of Corvette pilots use their steed for driving enjoyment which requires comfortable seats and a rear window you can see out of...I do hope it sells well as I have been a Vette fan since 1966...but I would not trade my C2 for a C8...

Intermediate Driver

Take a 20 year old Lamborghini Diablo (go look) then add some kitsch and lots of visual gimmicks (ala ‘80’s Firebird) and this is the look you get. A perfect car for old guys in Scottsdale that don’t know understeer from a Jersey cow.

New Driver

Said the Mustang owner with tongue in cheek! 

New Driver

Yes... that huge center console makes one think the designers were thinking “single position performance car!”   That being said,  I would gladly trade my C-5 for a new C-8! 

Passenger

I wonder why GM (and magazines) are still promoting sales of the C8 Corvettes? At least here in Canada all 2021(!) are already sold out.  Bad production planning or intentional? And if you think GM Is just trying to entice customers into their show room. And then buy what, a truck instead? From now on, I just skip over any articles on the Corvette. For my own sanity. Just unobtaininum.