cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

The 8 most expensive cars bound for auction this May | Hagerty Media

COVID-19 has left the world all topsy-turvy, and that includes the classic-car event schedule. Though the Mecum Indianapolis Auction is returning to its normal May dates, the Amelia Concours d'Elegance will be held two months later than its usual March time slot.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/the-8-most-expensive-cars-bound-for-auction-this-may/
36 REPLIES 36
WRLotus
Detailer

If I could have any of these magically appear in my garage it would be the Daytona Spyder, the cheapest car of the lot. Clearly, a man of simple tastes.
bblhed
Advanced Driver

I have always loved the Duesenberg but of the three I would want the 1929 Duesenberg Model J “Disappearing Top” Torpedo by Murphy. My first car was a Barracuda so I'm pretty much over that. My biggest problem with the Duesenberg would be that I would want to drive it every day, and I know it is not practical enough for that.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

A reproduction door skin for that Plymouth is $300. I wonder what it would cost to place the doors on any of the others if you had a mishap in the giant hidden private museums where all these cars are headed?
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Oh, that Mercedes is beautiful.
VetteVet
Pit Crew

My choice would be the GTB/4. Although how does one drive a multimillion dollar car to the drugstore for a loaf of bread? Even if I had the money, I’m not sure I’d want a trailer queen! 🏎😊
stevecobb45
Detailer

All too rich for my blood. I do enjoy the first day of all auctions because of the cars I could afford, wish I had room for & wish I was younger to enjoy.
gspaldin
New Driver

A reproduction door skin for a '71 Cuda may be $300 but I'll bet the original door skin on that car is north of $200K
Islander
Intermediate Driver

Just think, one could build that car from parts and be way south of $5 M.

I know that misses the point of selling rare automotive art to a billionaire collector, but for me a car needs to be reasonable enough to be driven.
Maestro1
Instructor

The Dusenberg and the Mercedes Spezcial are stunning. Of course Ferraris are always a wonder.
But I drive my cars. So sadly, these would be out of the question. And let's not forget entry level car
results while you're at it. If any.
I still think we're going to see a correction in the Hobby's prices. I think the market is overheated.
Thank you for this.
bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

If the Daytona were red it would o for another mil...
js100
Intermediate Driver

All beautiful examples of fine craftsmanship, but somewhat sadly, probably just display artifacts. I doubt any of those perfect exhaust manifolds will ever see the heat of combustion again. I hope their new caretakers have the chops to actually drive them.
OldRoad
Instructor

Anyone with the nonsense to drive any of these vehicles on any given road or avenue would likely get what he or she deserves, carjacked! Crooks would be on anyone of these cars like flies on warm dogdodo. If they couldn't jack you on the spot they'd follow you home.
Trublue
Pit Crew

@OldRoad,
If you drive it, definitely depends on where you live. Like in the
Queensryche tune 'Empire',
Got a AK-47 for a best friend.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

would love to see the MOPAR take the biggest price, but I don't think it will happen
ctaarman
Intermediate Driver

Sorry to be a downer, but I don't believe that the Nazi era (1930 to 1945) Mercedes belong in any auction. These cars are not to be celebrated given their (dubious) origins.
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

Oh, piff.
540K_sp_Rdstr
New Driver

…some people. Right??!!
DT
Detailer

Give me a break. These cars are pieces of steel. They had nothing to do with the war or the Holocaust.......
SJ
Instructor

And the PC Police emerge yet again. Dubious origins? From what? Poison gas nozzles in it then maybe.
farna
Advanced Driver

Nazi officers may have driven and owned cars like those in the war years, but they weren't produced specifically for them. Mercedes happened to be in Germany, and they produced lots of material for the Germans. I'm sure some employees were Nazis, but not all Germans were. Most supported the regime because they had little choice, some simply because it was their home country. You can't hold everyone accountable for the acts of a ruthless dictator who had most of the country spell bound. I've talked to German people who lived through it -- most had little idea of the atrocities going on until after the war. Some did, like the townspeople near the death camps, and turned a blind eye, though there's not much they could have done. I remember one lady (just passed this year) well. She was a young girl during the war and when Hitler came to power. She remembered that the German people fell for Hitler's rhetoric mainly because he brought them out of a long economic slump, created by the Treaty of Versailles ending WWI. The Allies set things up for another war, though that wasn't the intent. The intent was to make Germany pay for the war, and it ruined the nation for years (more or less the intent). Woodrow Wilson argued against retribution, but the European powers wouldn't hear it. They endured the brunt of the war, but refused to acknowledge that they were in part responsible for it as well.
SamAdamsPaleAle
Advanced Driver

Its a car? It wasn't Goering's daily, it was some randoms who probably got turned to swiss cheese in Berlin. Relax. 

540K_sp_Rdstr
New Driver

You should do some investigative reading before coming up with such a comment… To save you some time, the nazi party did not have any influence in the creation of these vehicles. The bodies were previously ordered and sent to the respective company for completion of the coachwork. The benz’s that you see being driven by nazi soldiers were actually stolen by the nazi party. The Mercedes factory was turned into a war machine factory, not to produce any cars until after the wars end. Hence, the year “1939” being the last year of their vehicle production (prior to the start of the war). These cars have zero to do with the nazi party other than they stole them and drove them around. Other than that, there’s no connection between the two.
TimK
Detailer

I'm not criticizing the Hemi-Cuda on this list, it probably belongs, not my say. But I remember in 1970
when the Barracuda became just the Cuda and what a good looking, desirable car it was, even for this Ford guy. The 340 was fast with more potential and engine sizes went to 440 Six Pack and of course the Hemi. When the 71 Cuda was introduced I remember one magazine reviewer when describing the redesigned grille, "We can't wait until last year."
DT
Detailer

Kinda sounds like you are indeed criticizing the Hemi-Cuda ??
chrlsful
Instructor

size, looks'n driving? the '68 & '71. Maintenance & to work on? what i got now
aahahahaa
Punk
Detailer

Cars like this are interesting to look at on the internet. But as with a 20 year old car that has only 20 miles on it, the question arises in my mind, what good are they? You can't drive them. You can trailer them to shows and have everyone tell you how lucky you are. But what good are they? To me, just about nothing. I'll keep my vintage driver Jag and Sunbeam from the 1960s. They are fun to DRIVE.
dd1
Intermediate Driver

My choice would be the '71 Ferrari Spyder. I have a "thing" for little roadsters! Unfortunately, it's just a wee bit beyond my budget! Ahh, yes, Ferrari desires on a Mazda Miata budget. But wait a minute...now that I think about it the prices of good low mileage NA Miatas have skyrocketed in the last year. So I'm not even sure I can afford a quaint little Miata anymore!
Buzz
Pit Crew

As a Mopar enthusiast, it's a bit depressing that since the day I got my driver's license, I have watched assembly line production cars I've dearly loved go from a value in the hundreds of dollars to a value of millions of dollars. Not that I have always wanted a Hemi car. This is about what the desirability of the most rare Mopars has done to the price of all the classic muscle mopars and their parts. Buying an original dash pad for a Hemicuda is just as pricy as buying one for a slant 6 barracuda. As a hobbyist, this has really sucked the enjoyment out of of it for the little guy that still wants to have fun with his boyhood obsession. Still I'll be wowed with the rest of the hobby as the famous French Hemicuda rolls across the block and later head out to the garage with a cold beer to tinker with my 1970 Superbee, knowing that I got that car before it was financially too late to enjoy her.
markmathes
Pit Crew

F fifty
51JaguarC-type
Pit Crew

In my opinion the person that will pay that much money for the Mopar product is 100% braindead, they don't have any style, they are complete useless, however they are the perfect target for a banger race.
DT
Detailer

You know what they say about opinions 🙂
br427
Intermediate Driver

The Daytona is my dream car. In my opinion, the most beautiful car ever made, and it will do damn near 200 mph. What else is there??????????
ToroGT
New Driver

I would have to go with the 71 Cuda, by far one of my favorite cars plus it’s the only American muscle in the group my second choice would be the 1930 Duesenberg, once had a 70 Cuda 383 super commando sure wish I still had it.
SAG
Detailer

And to reflect: some Dum-Ass
paid 5M for a License Plate.
Ha

SAG
Detailer

Still laughing
NY tag
$5M
ChevyDave
Intermediate Driver

IDK, to me the whole “One-of-(Fill-in the blank with a list of increasingly inconsequential attributes) is beginning to sound more and more like something Professor Marvel would say to pump-up the value of his elixirs.
Hemi ‘Cudas are cool....ragtops even cooler...and the 4-speed puts it over the top, but come on, the fact that it was sold in France? Seriously? What’s next; the fact that it left the factory with 26 psi in the left-front tire?
I had the opportunity to spend some time with the cars from a large collection recently and literally tired of reading placard after placard describing how special a car was because it was “One of two known to exist with the combination of 460 ci Super Ram Jet engine, floor-shifted Powerglide transmission, eight-track stereo, and bench seat.”
Hey it’s not my money and the owner was obviously proud of the “special” cars displayed, but me....I’m holding out for that Verde Medio Metallizzo over Bordeaux Ferrari 288 GTO built on a Tuesday with the driver’s-side windshield wiper canted at 27 degrees.
Now THAT’S a special car!