cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

The 6 most interesting hardtop wagons of the postwar era

In 1949, General Motors gave us the two-door hardtop. Six years later, it rolled out the four-door hardtop and the hardtop wagon. Indeed, GM was first with the two-door Chevrolet Nomad and Pontiac Safari, but the me-too brigade came out with four-door hardtop wagons with a bit more utility. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/most-interesting-hardtop-wagons-postwar-era/

14 REPLIES 14
Pit Crew

I never knew that Ford (or their Mercury division) had built a 2 door wagon, as had GM with the Nomad and Safari.  Love the look of the Buick Caballero.  Interesting how the magazine ad illustrations for the Chrysler and Dodge wagons distort the cars' proportions, making them appear longer/lower.  Today, that sort of thing would get you sued for false advertising.

Passenger

Loved my first car: 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon. 2 doors and perfect for 2-tone paint job. I won many country road drag races until sucking a valve. I went easier on it after the rebuild. 

Passenger

Thanks for this. I've been looking for a reto-wagon, and you've put a few more options on my radar.

New Driver

Forgot Plymouth!

Pit Crew

which plymouth?