cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 5 coolest cars named after animals, according to the Hagerty Community

For something that is largely arbitrary, car names are considered sacred by automotive faithful. Should an OEM revive a nameplate and not live up to consumer expectations set by the model's previous generation, the critics will be vocal (you can keep your modern GTO comments to yourself.) However, before a nameplate can be revived it must be born. The conference rooms of automakers surely still have coffee spill stains and pizza grease in the floorboards from late-night brainstorming sessions choosing the perfect name for a new model. More than occasionally, an animal provided inspiration for a car that would, once realized, be beautifully photographed for brochures and enjoyed by drivers on the road.

With so many cars that share names with animals, we were curious which were the coolest of the group, so we asked the Hagerty Community to help us decide. We plucked the top five answers from the ensuing discussion.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/the-5-coolest-cars-named-after-animals-according-to-...

Replies (204)

Replies (204)

No Mustang? How can any list of cars named after animals not include the Mustang?

Navigator

1953 Kaiser Dragon ?

Passenger

The AMC Marlin was a nice looking car for the time. under powered though the biggest motor was a 327.  only lasted for 2 1/2 years late 65/66/67.

Navigator

What no Jaguar? Pantera? Or very much less cool but good...Beetle, Wasp or Lark.

New Driver

JAGUAR NAMED THE WHOLE COMPANY AFTER AN ANIMAL . 

New Driver

No Mustang?

Pit Crew

I own an AMC EAGLE.
Don't forget the Bobcat/Pinto. 

Pit Crew

The Italian designed Triumph Stag by Micholetti 

Passenger

Uhm... Mustang? Anyone?

Whether you like it or not, it has been one of the coolest american cars since the 60s.

It has been reinvented several times.

How is it possible that it didn’t make the top 5?

Passenger

How about the Super Bee and the Mercury Lynx

New Driver

Don't forget the  Sunbeam Tiger.

Passenger

I would have to say, The Road Runner, Beep Beep !!!!

Pit Crew

Het let's not forget about the Road Runner BEEP BEEP!

Passenger

I thought the Dodge Viper could have been on the list too. 

Passenger

With all due respect sir you are wrong about the "Barracuda!"  The Barracuda is the most stream lined, fastest and meanest fish in the sea! Meaner than any Shark (you could have mentioned the Mako Shark for Corvette too?)  Divers fear the Barracuda more than any other fish in the sea...!  In short, one could some up the reason for using the Barracuda for the Plymouth, in one word my... "Attitude," my friend, "Attitude..!"

New Driver

Studebaker Hawk.

Passenger

AMC-Eagle Hudson-Hornet-Wasp Studebaker-Lark-GoldenHawk-SilverHawk Stutz-Bearcat-Pontiac-Firebird Audi-Fox Mercury-Bobcat Ford-Pinto-Falcon-Bronco Dodge-Ram Corvette-Stingray

New Driver

Wolsely Viper and Hornet, Stutz Bearcat, Reliant Robin and Kitten, Alvis Firefly, Humber Snipe,  

New Driver

The 'cuda trim actually debuted in the 1969 model year. It was to the Formula S package as the Road Runner was to the GTX on the B Body. Slightly decontented, lower price, fake hood scoops and special striping.

Passenger

I’m hurt that you didn’t mention Jaguars which are mammals and generally referred to as animals by folks who didn’t take biology. Barracudas, while in the Kingdom Animalia , are called fish, not animals,  by most of us. Getting out of a boat after a fishing trip , nobody ever ran up to me to ask “how many animals did ‘ya catch today?” Frankly, I think that’s just one more reason why Mustangs significantly outsold  Barracudas. Ditto the AMC Marlin. The exception maybe was the Corvette Sting Ray.

Passenger

Whether it was named after the one the greatest, fastest fighter planes of the time, most Mustangs have a "running horse" on it somewhere, thus making it #1 muscle car associated with an animal of all time, period!

Passenger

Come on.......Mustang???? More Mustangs built than any of the above.

New Driver

How about the Mustang!  How do you not include one of the most famous cars named for an animal.  My personal favorite is the 67 fastback GT S Code.  

Passenger

Don't forget the Hudson Hornet and Wasp.

Passenger

Those are cooler than a Sting Ray and Viper ?

New Driver

Let's "Horse" around a bit! Mustangs are still here and running strong at a world class pace... Pony up!!!  (all puns egregiously intentional)

Passenger

My two favorites are the Qvale Mangusta and the Sunbeam Tiger.  DeTomaso and Qvale called their impressively unique creation the Mangusta as in the wild the Mongoose swallows the Cobra whole.  Shelby called his Alpine on steroids the Tiger as, well, Get Smart about it . . .

Passenger

Regarding the AC/Cobra, it would be an extremely low-production Cobra with a 283 V-8 (which was at the time Chevrolet’s small block V-8). 
I believe you would have liked to have said “preferred a 289”...

New Driver

Mustang! 

Passenger

Did your publication perhaps forget: THUNDERBIRD?

yours, tex

Passenger